Author Topic: Free Avast preinstalled for customers, registration, email  (Read 3302 times)

DeerDance

Free Avast preinstalled for customers, registration, email
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
After even microsoft themselves confirm that MSE sucks, I am choosing which antivirus to install on customers new build PCs

Avast 2014 is on the top of the list, but the registration process is kinda hindering the transition from MSE.
I understand that you want the email, but I dont have it, nor access to it, nor can I count on casual average moronic user to click the confirmation link, nor do I want to bother them with it, or have them sentenced to promo mail of one time offers.

I assume I cant use same single email address to register countless copies of free avast, or can I?
So its either make some mail accounts with every new pc we sell(not going to happen),
or use some temporary, 10 min junk email and such, but they proved unreliable and few times I didnt receive mail from avast.

What exactly happens if I register avast with some email, but wont receive avast mail and cant click confirmation link?
Is there some way to ease the distribution of the free version?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Free Avast preinstalled for customers, registration, email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »
I assume I cant use same single email address to register countless copies of free avast, or can I?
No, you can't.

So its either make some mail accounts with every new pc we sell(not going to happen),
or use some temporary, 10 min junk email and such, but they proved unreliable and few times I didnt receive mail from avast.
You can't do that too.

Is there some way to ease the distribution of the free version?
Install the trial version and instruct the user to register avast! with his/her own email.
avast! will warn the user about that and the registration process is very easy.
The best things in life are free.

DeerDance

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:54:39 AM »
You can't do that too.

Why not?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:43 AM »
When the registration is done, I believe it has a declaration that the free version will be used of home, non-commercial use.

Essentially only the end user can make that declaration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
I think David posted fully corrected one of the points.
See, other antivirus like the preinstalled ones (OEM) also uses a trial version that requires the end user to buy or to drop. In avast! case you can drop to a free version, thing that the most other OEM antivirus won't allow it to do.

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
Pre-registering Free install for users with the same account/email address is definitely a horrible idea. Especially considering the fact that Avast now lets you manage all your devices registered with the same account from the GUI! Please think about it before doing something stupid like this.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Pre-registering Free install for users with the same account/email address is definitely a horrible idea. Especially considering the fact that Avast now lets you manage all your devices registered with the same account from the GUI! Please think about it before doing something stupid like this.
As far I know, avast! only allows 20 devices at the same account.

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
As far I know, avast! only allows 20 devices at the same account.

Creating 20 backdoors customers are unaware of sounds bad enough, doesn't it?  :P

@Avast: What happened to these /silent and /verysilent switches in 2014? Definitely useful for preinstalls like this, could be run on first Windows launch and let people handle the registration themselves as their are supposed to.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:38:47 PM by doktornotor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
@Avast: What happened to these /silent and /verysilent switches in 2014? Definitely useful for preinstalls like this, could be run on first Windows launch and let people handle the registration themselves as their are supposed to.
I think they're reserved to the business versions (deployment of av clients).

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

Bad move, frankly...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:26:04 PM »

Bad move, frankly...  ;)
It's not an avast official word. Just my feeling.