Author Topic: Avast Online Security Add On Makes IE 9 Hang On Opening  (Read 4362 times)

sford05

Avast Online Security Add On Makes IE 9 Hang On Opening
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
To all,

Automatic update of the free Avast product, latest version (2014.9.0.2006), took place on 10/27/2013
at approximately 10 pm, PST.

After the update Internet Explorer 9, 32 bit version, with AVAST ONLINE SECURITY BROWSER ADD ON
enabled, quit loading web pages altogether. It actually appeared to make the browser hang. No
error messages, just the outline of the IE 9 browser, blank white interior; just the URL address box, and
the "new" tab. AND NO BROWSER ADDRESS BAR.

I only run the IE 9 browser, no other browsers; no tool bars, only a few add ons.

Ran full MalwareBytes scan, then Avast scan (not boot scan). No reports of anything.

Oddly, the 64 bit version of IE 9 worked fine.

After THREE hours of research on tech forums and the MS knowledgebase web site (using the 64 bit browser),
I was seeing many similar instances of users experiencing the identical IE browser problem. The remedies
suggested spanned the gamut with many really drastic recommendations for fixes, most of which were
reported by users as ineffective after they implemented them.

I checked all my internet settings, nothing had changed; file associations all normal; firewall looked normal, etc.

I ran a couple command line commands as admin to clear some logs, cashe and reset tcp/ip; rebooted
several times with no effect. Checked the Windows log files: nothing unusual. Task Manager was reporting IE 9
32 running normal even though it wasn't. I was now flummoxed!

Then I ran across a blog where an obviously very savvy  guy started taking a poster through a process step by step
to narrow down the cause of his similar. Somewhere in the lengthy back and forth posting he dropped this nugget:

set home page to about:blank, then check your add ons; disable anything suspect, or, all of them, or one at a time,
then close the browser, reopen, and then click on the NEW tab. My geek second sense jumped on this; sure enough,
when I clicked on the new tab I got the normal about:Tabs page, from there I clicked on the "home" icon at the upper
right of the browser and got my home page. THIS TOLD ME THE BROWSER WAS WORKING FINE, and isolated the
problem to the add ons in the browser.

I run a really plain jane setup, NO tool bars, just vanilla IE 9. I use my laptop for work. I disabled all 8 add ons, reopened
the 32 bit browser and bingo, everything was fine. I decided to Re-enabled the 8 add ons and see which one was causing the
problem.

TURNED OUT TO BE THE AVAST ONLINE SECURITY BROWSER ADD ON.

I have been a happy Avast user, and sung its praises, recommended it, installed it on all my machines, friends machines,
work machines, and clients machines. HOWEVER, in the last few weeks I have become very disappointed with Avast.
First the issue with the supposed bankfraud virus on the Gmail login screen, now this. I did not read anywhere here
on the forum web site whether Avast addressed what the issue was with the Gmail login screen, whether it was a
Google server problem, an AVAST update problem, both, or?

BTW, the new Avast free product user interface REALLY SUCKS. Looks like it was designed by children, for children.

(Running Win7 Pro, 64 bit, New Toshiba Laptop with i7 processor and 4 gigs ram. IE 9 browser, no other browsers)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast Online Security Add On Makes IE 9 Hang On Opening
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
The Avast Online Security plug-in is a known issue with many post accredited to this issue.
I believe it was mentioned it is being worked on for next update. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:34:00 PM by schmidthouse »

The Rabbit

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
I also had this same problem, though I found that the plug-in would eventually load after about a minute and a half.
When finally did load I went to the IE Manage Add-ons page from the Tools Menu and upon reading the loading time of the plugin disabled it on the page.
From that time forward IE10 32bit on Win7 has operated correctly.
The identical problem existed on a second computer in my household and corrected after disabling the Avast! online security plugin.

I do hope that this is attended to for the next update release.

Offline skipperl

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
FYI: Same problem on Windows 7 with IE10, program version 2014.9.0.2006

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
My plugin is disabled right now as it takes molasses to load. We're expecting an upgrade soon.
The best things in life are free.