Author Topic: what browser now?... and a few words about IE9 beta  (Read 52350 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: what browser now?... and a few words about IE9 beta
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »
This:

Browser CodeName: Mozilla

Browser Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer

Browser Version: 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Cookies Enabled: true

Platform: Win32

User-agent header: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Running it sandboxed and it's quite sluggish like that, runs fine outside the sandbox. I quite like it but i will be sticking to Chrome.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »
A new Flash Player Beta is out.

Flash Player 10.2.161.22 Beta

changelog: Adds enhanced support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 Beta on Windows

download link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

EDIT: Link to official page: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

EDIT2: Just a warning for those that don't like to read the fine print.  ;D

Important: Please note that if you install the Flash Player "Square" preview, you will need to keep this version up to date by manually installing updates from the Flash Player "Square" download page on Adobe Labs. You will not receive automatic update notifications for future final releases of Flash Player, and you will need to manually uninstall Flash Player "Square" before installing a final shipping version of Flash Player.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:27:39 AM by m416 »

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
A new Flash Player Beta is out.

Flash Player 10.2.161.22 Beta

changelog: Adds enhanced support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 Beta on Windows

download link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

okay thanks for that, this should be needed as IE9 crashes sometimes with flash sites, at least those with pages heavily populated with flash content.

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
Running it sandboxed and it's quite sluggish like that, runs fine outside the sandbox. I quite like it but i will be sticking to Chrome.

runs fast sandboxed too here...and better than IE8 anyway that use to crash off and on because of the java plugin when sandboxed.

>>> how come the page linked by Polonus shows a Mozilla agent ???

edit: same here ??? http://show-ip.net/browserinfo/

(chrome shows a mozilla agent too but it's always been like that while Opera shows Opera)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:26:16 AM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
explanations here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx

@ Polonus >>> it's always been like that, with IE8 and IE7 too...I just had no idea as I didn't use them at all, so that's no big news at all, just in case you were looking for sensational news and post it here ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:35:18 AM by Logos »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »
Want to test your browser functionality ?

Go here: http://www.browserscope.org/

Note: This is mainly for developers and uber curious geeks... ;D

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

runs fast sandboxed too here...and better than IE8 anyway that use to crash off and on because of the java plugin when sandboxed.

>>> how come the page linked by Polonus shows a Mozilla agent ???

edit: same here ??? http://show-ip.net/browserinfo/

(chrome shows a mozilla agent too but it's always been like that while Opera shows Opera)
IE has always shown as Mozilla in every version because the original base was developed by Mozilla.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »
I think you didn't read my last post DCH ??? (hmm...Mosaic you mean)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:45:41 PM by Logos »

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »
Its Mozilla from XP Pro.
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
and IE9 from Windows 7
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:48:11 PM by YoKenny »

Dch48

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Mosaic and Mozilla. There are core elements from both present in all browsers. The Mozilla tag just promotes compatibility.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
Mosaic and Mozilla. There are core elements from both present in all browsers. The Mozilla tag just promotes compatibility.

...yeah, and Mozilla didn't exist in 1995 ;D while Mosaic did ::)

Dch48

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »

Actually, yes it did. The first release of Netscape Navigator was in late 1994 and it was tagged as Mozilla. They invented the name.

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

Actually, yes it did. The first release of Netscape Navigator was in late 1994 and it was tagged as Mozilla. They invented the name.

Okay..DCH, I know all that, I've used Netscape and Firefox code comes from it...just the Mozilla tag as such couldn't exist in 95 when IE came out, as Mozilla, the company, didn't exist...

Internet Explorer 1 debuted on August 16, 1995. It was a reworked version of Spyglass Mosaic, which Microsoft had licensed, like many other companies initiating browser development, from Spyglass Inc. It came with Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 and the OEM release of Windows 95. It was installed as part of the Internet Jumpstart Kit in Plus!.[10] The Internet Explorer team began with about six people in early development.[11][12] Internet Explorer 1.5 was released several months later for Windows NT and added support for basic table rendering. However, by including it for free on their OS, they did not have to pay royalties to Spyglass Inc., which resulted in a lawsuit and a multi-million USD settlement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Internet_Explorer_1

MasterTB

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
I'm running it now on my Win7 x64 Desktop and my Win7 x32 Laptop. Cool browser. Very nice for a Beta.
Finally Microsoft is doing it right with IE.
Of course it's not going to replace Opera for me but it has some nice features, security wise like the Download Manager, protected mode and the SmartScreen filter that checks downloads. IT really improves security over the other browsers when downloading files.

Martin.-