Author Topic: Firewalls!  (Read 12062 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Firewalls!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 01:26:49 AM »
Me I'm biases, since I use the Outpost Firewall Pro and you get all the good elements in the free version that got the good results in the firewall tests, the other stuff is for the most part bells and whistles as I have much of them disabled in the Pro version.

See http://free.agnitum.com for a comparison of what isn't in the free version. The anti-spyware and Web protection are taken care of by avast, so in conjunction with avast you almost have the full Outpost Pro version level of protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

magena777

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 06:49:58 AM »
I would definitely recommend a demand scanner. A good way to double check your system is not harboring trojans etc.
No one application can catch them all, all the time.
Try MBAM and/or SAS.
Both have free versions, both are very good. Download install update then run.

From you description, it sounds altogether likely that you may have the remnants of a rogue program on board, so don't be at all surprised if either of those scanners find some weird stuff. (You should always quarantine anything found, rather than delete it,unless you know it to be safe in which case it can be ignored.)

A gram of prevention is worth a kg of cure. "Google" SpywareBlaster, and MVPS Hosts file. No harm in improving the odds a bit by blocking known bad sites. If you use IE, nothing wrong with increasing the default security settings a bit, too. At least have it prompt to run scripts.

After downloading the two you mentioned above:  MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERantispyware.  Do i uninstalled them after before i download the SpywareBlaster?  I really don't need all three?  Right?

dansorin

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »
you can keep all three. you just run them manually when in need. altough, if you use IE, you should update Spywareblaster regularly.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »
After downloading the two you mentioned above:  MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERantispyware.  Do i uninstalled them after before i download the SpywareBlaster?  I really don't need all three?  Right?
You don't need any of them. But there is no harm in having all installed unless you are running very short of disk space.
Both MBAM and SAS can be installed, and will only run when you command that, although SAS does start with Windows - a default recommended setting - that you can change with no ill effects.
SpywareBlaster once installed has an icon like a Knights' head (representing armour) and doesn't run at all. What you do is open the program, update it, select "enable all protection", let that happen, and close it. It makes some registry changes to block known bad websites/cookies, and places some other websites into the Internet Explorer "restricted zone".
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
He can have like Avast!,WOT or Mcafee Site Advisor,SAS Free,MBAM Free,Windows Defender,Comodo or Outpost as Firewall,For browser IE and Firefox or Safari instead of Firefox he is also good.

But i can say he can have just Windows Defender with Avast! and his Firewall but if he feel that he is infected he can alway do a boot time scan with Avast! and fast scan with Windows Defender. If the two didnt find anything then he could get a extra like MBAM Free or SAS Free. But if he want another protection he can use SpywareBlaster.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:20:35 PM by Mr.Agent »

sham1313

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »
     :)I am still kind of new here and don't really know if I should have click on one of the earlier post or reply here at the end. I have only ask a couple of questions here and this is only the second time I have reply to a question that some one els started. the question is that some said my windows firewall maybe off. how do I check this? if it is off I think I need to turn it back on.
thanks Sharon sham1313

hlecter

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
Go to Windows/Contol Panel - Windows Firewall and have a look.

Regards
HL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:00:59 PM by hlecter »

sham1313

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
    when I click on the link in my bluelight it took me right to your message I well read the URLs that you sent me and some of the above will help me to, but you say for me to ask leo he must be some one in this certain Forum. I guess I will see if I can fine him to ask. on these URL'S I'm almost sure the answer will be there too. just letting every knowI am not to Bright at doing the up keep of this computer. all so my grammer is not good and some times people have trouble understanding me because of my lack of schooling. please let me know of any thing I write here is like that. I will re-write and try to do better. thanks Sham1313
thanks Sharon sham1313

ASK LEO - firewall info

http://ask-leo.com/is_an_outbound_firewall_needed.html     Is an outbound firewall needed?

Ask Leo! Search Results on firewalls

http://ask-leo.com/ask_leo_search_results.html?cx=partner-pub-6711026890334492:2ql765kqz48&cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=firewall&sa=Search+Ask+Leo

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »

Ask Leo! Search Results on firewalls

http://ask-leo.com/ask_leo_search_results.html?cx=partner-pub-6711026890334492:2ql765kqz48&cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=firewall&sa=Search+Ask+Leo
Have a look at Vista Firewall Control topic:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30234.15 <== second page has good information

Sharon, you could update your profile to indicate the system you are using.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:35:19 PM by YoKenny »

sham1313

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »
I found and and turn it on thank you.
Sharon sham1313

Go to Windows/Contol Panel - Windows Firewall and have a look.

Regards
HL

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 02:47:26 AM »
     :)I am still kind of new here and don't really know if I should have click on one of the earlier post or reply here at the end. I have only ask a couple of questions here and this is only the second time I have reply to a question that some one els started. the question is that some said my windows firewall maybe off. how do I check this? if it is off I think I need to turn it back on.
thanks Sharon sham1313
Sharon, I answered this for you 2 days ago, here.
Have you stopped reading my replies to your old questions?
I also mentioned it's a good idea to do one thing at a time, and post follow up to the threads they were started in.
So I say it again here. You've got unresolved problems in your two main threads that are still running and being replied to. In some cases it is not known whether you have followed the advice offered in some of the reply posts, because you have not always indicated you have read a post or done what is suggested.
Example: I still don't know if you have tried running the AVG removal tool as an administrator.
There is no need nor is it really appropriate to post your question to somebody else s' thread.

Hope that answers your question at the beginning of the quote.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.