Author Topic: avast! crash win xp while uninstall  (Read 9136 times)

vbwx

Re: avast! crash win xp while uninstall
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »
i can assure you that xp sp3 against xp sp2 won't have much more defense...

How can you assure that..???

sp3 or sp2, it isn't an indicate for being safe on the internet.
sp2 with sandboxie will probably do much better than sp3 without it.
and if you have 3 softwares in the defense line, without counting sandboxie, believe me, it will detect almost 100% of the viruses, and the rest will be blocked
by sp2 and sandboxie.

and for proves..
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090529111720AAOv4Ww
- sp3 is not compatible with all the softwares which run on sp2.
- there isn't such big difference between sp2 and sp3, just a bunch of windows updates.. that's it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:55:35 PM by dns »

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
The link you provided in your last post is 2 years old.  A lot has changed in 2 years!  That is why most of us here keep our software (and OS's) current because security holes are just more opportunity for malware, intruders, etc, to get into our system.

I use several different OS's including XP-Home and XP-Pro with Avast through the many different versions and beta versions.  I've done uninstalls/clean installs and upgrades and never had a problem with a "crash" or BSOD on these OS's.

I think your best solution to your problem would be to:

1. Submit a mini-dump file to Avast to analyze, but you need to do this at the time you are actually having the problem:

- Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

- Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.

2. Update your OS to SP3, which you are reluctant to do despite discussing it with the Avast Evangelists who troubleshoot issues daily with users.  I understand that this is your machine and you are entitled to make what ever decision you wish, but we are advising you to what is best for better security for your machine.

So you have choices on how to resolve your problem.  It is now up to you to decide what to do.

kariuro

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
from time to time i need to uninstall avast! for random reasons, it could be once in a year or a month..
the problem is, that avast! cause Windows XP Service Pack 2 to crash while uninstalling, the os itself is fine and comodo/mbam/sandboxie or any other program
do not cause to the os to crash.
this is a conflict between the uninstaller and the avast! service task, while uninstalling in safe mode, everything is fine, and in normal mode it crashes (since i joined
avast! - 4 months ago)- so it is clearly an avast! bug, i have been waiting for it to be fixed but non happened, so can someone on the avast! team take a look over that problem?
btw, it happenes in all the computers in my home (XP SP2) and i dont want SP3 :)
Did you use control panel or avast uninstall utility to uninstall avast?