Author Topic: cannot delete or move virus zip files  (Read 11568 times)

TimN

cannot delete or move virus zip files
« on: June 16, 2003, 11:19:27 PM »
With the free copy of avast4, if I download the Eicar test virus zip file and right click on it, it is identified as a virus. If I chose either the delete or move to virus chest options nothing happens. Is this because it is a zip file and the virus cannot be removed?

techie101

Re:cannot delete or move virus zip files
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 02:37:57 AM »
Tim,

In order to explain, I will quote from Eicar.org regarding the test file:
"Once downloaded run your AV scanner. It should detect at least the file "eicar.com". Good scanners will detect the 'virus' in the single zip archive and may be even in the double zip archive. Once detected the scanner might not allow you any access to the file(s) anymore. You might not even be allowed by the scanner to delete these files. This is caused by the scanner which puts the file into quarantaine. The test file will be treated just like any other real virus infected file. Read the user's manual of your AV scanner what to do or contact the vendor/manufacturer of your AV scanner."

Avast detects the test file, but may not allow you to do anything with it.  NO matter because it is not a real virus, and unless you perform the eicar test by sending to yourself, or attempting to open it, Avast will not bother with it.

Good Luck,
 ;D

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 09:57:31 AM »
Are using currently available build of avast! ? I think there was bug in it that has been solved some time ago. Try to update your copy of avast!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 09:57:54 AM by Roman Svihalek »

TimN

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 01:33:34 PM »
Only downloaded Avast last week so am up-to-date.

The fact that Avast gives the option to delete or move an infected zip file top the chest suggests it should be able to do this, and if it can't it should say so. People don't want viruses zipped/or unzipped on their PC and if Avast can't delete the virus from within the zip it should give the user the option of deleting the whole zip file. Thewhole zip file can be deleted manually as you would any other file. Avast doesn't lock it.

Is my copy working/set up correctly or can Avast delete a virus within a zip or delete the whole zip file?

Gary

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 02:04:51 PM »
Same problem here. Home version Build 4.0.211.

Download eicar.zip to desktop. Rightclick on zipped file, "scan eicar.zip". Virus detected but clicking on any of the buttons in the "Available actions" group results in the warning window closing but the action not being performed.  The result window does not pop up to confirm any actions. The Processing actions group in the "Warning" pop up window only contains the "OK" button.

Scanning the same file after starting "avast!"  selecting a "folder selection" scan, results in the warning window same as for "Quick scanner", this time the "Processing actions" group contains buttons "Continue" and "Stop" and the buttons in "Available actions" group perform as designed with a "Result of last scan" popup confirming performed actions.

Also double clicking on eicar.com in the zipped file (using Windows XP to view the zipped file) produces the same anomaly. That is, the buttons in the "Available actions" group do not function,  the warning window just closes. Again the "Processing Actions" group only contains  an "OK" button.

Summary: looks like the "Available actions" in "Warning" pop up are not functional when initiated by "Quick scanner" or "On access", for zipped files, non archive action is functional.

Gary
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 02:13:43 PM by Gary »

TimN

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 02:27:35 PM »
Looks like it's not just me then. (on XP too)
I think we need a moderator to definitively tell us if this flaw is a bug or intentional.

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 02:31:13 PM »
So I was wrong - this bug has been repaired but the repaired version is not yet available to you. Please, give us some time to release fixed build of avast!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 02:37:16 PM »
To sum up, there was a bug causing this, but it was fixed and will be part of the next update. There was a very similar thread about this thing on the forum recently...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 04:43:03 PM »
Hum...

Very interesting.  I checked my Avast Home build 211 again on the eicar test file.  My Windows XP worked as it should...detecting the zip file, and when I attempted to open it....all the bells and whistles went off.
I was able to move it to the chest.

Maybe I am fortunate in that my copy does not exhibit the bug, but that can happen with any program.

Tim, You sounded a little upset.  Please...be patient.  Avast is a wonderful program with good features not always found in other anti-virus programs and it is FREE!!!  Bugs are found and fixed with the help of people who bring them to light in a forum like this.

Join us, have fun, and make Avast one of the best around!

Techie
An avid Avast supporter and user.
 ;D

TimN

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 06:56:32 PM »
Thanks to all. I look forward to the updated version.  :)

As a matter of interest how do the program updates work. Do they require an uninstall of the older version and reinstall of the new version or do I just install over the old version and am able to keep all my settings?

Sorry Techie if I sounded a bit upset or rude, no offence meant. I really do appreciate all the hard work people put in to producing such a complete package as this and for FREE!

Keep up the good work  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 07:05:12 PM »
As a matter of interest how do the program updates work. Do they require an uninstall of the older version and reinstall of the new version or do I just install over the old version and am able to keep all my settings?

I think that's the best part about avast. I think you should look forward to it! ;D

avast! will notify you automatically as soon as an update is ready. Then, with a single mouse click you can tell it to do the update. The update is pretty fast because it is incremental - a typical update of the whole program usually does not exceed 400K.

And of course, all your settings stay preserved. ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 09:14:22 PM »
Tim,

No offense taken.
I'm really only a virtual user.
hahahha

Glad to help anytime. ;D ;D

TimN

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 07:55:07 PM »
The new version of Avast! out today has fixed this.
 :) ;) :D ;D

techie101

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2003, 03:35:36 AM »
Tim,

Glad your happy with Avast!  You got the news before I did, so I will be powering up the laptop to update my copy of Avast.
As it turned out, I did get some testing done which you might find interesting.
One of the nearest competitors AVG detected the Eicar.com file immediately, but not the .zip or .com.zip or .com2.zip on the download.  However, it detected and stopped any attempt to open the file in any configuration.  Apparently, it only checks one layer down.  It failed to stop me opening the Eicar when it was configured as a .txt file.
The same test was run with one of the leading AVs and it detected all configurations down to second layer.
I could not get my Avast to function abnormally and display the "bug" which the new version cured.

Needless to say, Avast is top dog as far as I'm concerned!

;D