Author Topic: Can Avast be installed on the D Drive ?  (Read 12629 times)

karanmehrotra2

Can Avast be installed on the D Drive ?
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »
Let me explain to you my Basic Aim . I want double Security . Meaning , I want to keep Deep Freeze as well as have a good Anti Virus Program on my p.c. However , the complication created is that since I have Deep Freeze installed on the C Drive , all the Virus Definition Updates , Quarantined Files & Log entries during a session are lost every time the p.c. is switched off & then back on .

So , alternatively , another solution for me would also be to have a antivirus like Avast installed on the C Drive but configure it in such a way that the Quarantine Folder , Log Files Folder & Virus Definitions Database Folders are in a Drive other than the C Drive . How can I reconfigure Avast in this way ?

Another solution would be to write some code which automatically backs up these folders to a drive other than the C Drive every time I switch off my p.c. or at periodic intervals .How can I manage to get such a code ?

Any Ideas ??

iyogisolutions1

Re: Can Avast be installed on the D Drive ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
Hi, karanmehrotra2

There is and existing conflict between avast! and Deep Freeze. You can try with this workaround and update us back with results.

Try to add an exclusion in avast! for Deep Freeze. And reboot the machine for results.

avast! GUI -> Settings -> Exclusions -> Add the path for Deep Freeze.

Update us back with results.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Hi, karanmehrotra2

There is and existing conflict between avast! and Deep Freeze. You can try with this workaround and update us back with results.

Try to add an exclusion in avast! for Deep Freeze. And reboot the machine for results.

Update us back with results.
iYogisolutions1 you keep advising people to place exclusions in the settings\exclusions and as told to you many times before this will only exclude from an on demand scan and does not stop conflicts that will occure between avast and the said programs, exclusions would need to be added to the file system shield exclusion's and probably adding the programs exe files to the behaviour shield would also be required but with that aside the OP was asking if avast can be installed on the D Drive which i believe is not possible as it needs to be installed on the same drive as the operating system which is usually C Drive.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
not sure if this will help

How do I install programs on a drive other than C:?
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_install_programs_on_a_drive_other_than_c.html

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
iYogisolutions1 you keep advising people to place exclusions in the settings\exclusions and as told to you many times before this will only exclude from an on demand scan and does not stop conflicts that will occure between avast and the said programs, exclusions would need to be added to the file system shield exclusion's and probably adding the programs exe files to the behaviour shield would also be required but with that aside the OP was asking if avast can be installed on the D Drive which i believe is not possible as it needs to be installed on the same drive as the operating system which is usually C Drive.

@craigb

We know that exclusions in the Settings tab is only for on demand scan. But as we said before, this is just a work around for the issue, since conflict is happening during the booting time of the machine. We faced the same issue before, and adding exclusions in Behavior Shiled didn't fix that time. Deep Freeze will create a snap shot of all the computer settings in the computer and on all the reboots DF will load back the snap shot. That is the reason why DF is deleting all the avast! updates and log fies. We dont know, whether there is an option for adding any kind of exclusion in DF for avast!. If it is there we can try out that. Installing avast! in D drive wont fix the issue too. As OP is asking for a boot time script for excluding avast! from DF, we think that is the only solution for the current issue.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:40:09 AM »
@ iyogi  We try "not" to do "work arounds".  ???
         We try to find real solutions.  :)
         So...please no more "work arounds"!  :)

If you read the replies you will find there is a conflict with Deep Freeze.
         The OP needs a real solution not a work around.
         At the rate you are going you will have a user "exclude" the entire OS.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
We know that exclusions in the Settings tab is only for on demand scan.
Are you sure?
I thought it affects all parts of avast, including the on access (resident) protection.

Installing avast! in D drive wont fix the issue too.
Unless the user moves the ProgramData folder to D: which is a very very advanced operation (if possible).

OP is asking for a boot time script for excluding avast! from DF, we think that is the only solution for the current issue.
No, it's impossible. This software acts at a low level driver, when the script starts to run it will be too late. Snapshotting technology starts before the script could run.
This is why DeepFreeze is useless for snapshotting. We had Comodo Time Machine and also RxRollBack but seems the technology is being dropped as Windows 8 is comming :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
No, it's not a conflict, it's how DeepFreeze works... it's by design.

Completely wrong. This will not solve anything at all... How avast exclusion for scanning will change the DeepFreeze technology... Nonsense.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
Just a quick read your 3 line post.

Your solution is Data igloo which DF new features.

Google it.

Btw. Im using DF Version 6 + Avast latest stable build no conflicts. Winxp Sp3.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:44:20 PM by -Genesis- »
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

karanmehrotra2

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Is there any place from where you can download "Data Igloo 1.2" for Free ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Is there any place from where you can download "Data Igloo 1.2" for Free ?
Isn't it a trialware?