Author Topic: Number Validator: what is it for exactly? [SOLVED]  (Read 11333 times)

Nawach

Number Validator: what is it for exactly? [SOLVED]
« on: November 18, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
Hi all,

The option popped up as I was trying to block a number.
I've looked for info, but I can't find anything specific... ???

Any reply will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:00:52 PM by Nawach »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Number Validator: what is it for exactly?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »
It's a new feature... Good question.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
Hi,

it is to block unwanted USSD codes to execute, usually without user knowledge. Those codes can range from pretty harmless (display IMEI of your device) to pretty dangerous (wiping your whole device).

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
But Filip, does the validator is checking the number which is sending the message/call?
Can the user separate it from the others very common services (bank, metro, Google Agenda...) that use short numbers?

Klinker

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
I saw this pop up a few days ago when I was copying and pasting an engine part number from a Google search. The part number just happened to be the same length of digits as a phone number so I guess Avast thought this was actually a phone number? I think the Avast pop up asked if I wanted to check with "Number Validator".

Just curious because that is the only time I've seen the Number Validator activate.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »
But Filip, does the validator is checking the number which is sending the message/call?
Can the user separate it from the others very common services (bank, metro, Google Agenda...) that use short numbers?

Don't really get that. USSD codes are more like "outgoing calls", but in special format (like *#06# for IMEI, just try it in your dialer).

I saw this pop up a few days ago when I was copying and pasting an engine part number from a Google search. The part number just happened to be the same length of digits as a phone number so I guess Avast thought this was actually a phone number? I think the Avast pop up asked if I wanted to check with "Number Validator".

Just curious because that is the only time I've seen the Number Validator activate.

I think that the Browser thought it is a phone number and if Number Validator is chosen, AMS will check if it is not an USSD code and if so, it will block it. This is to protect your device from being, for example, wiped by a webpage.

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »
Sorry, I've messed the inbound and outbound in this scenario.

Nawach

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your replies.

I'm quite out of my depth where mobile technology is concerned, but after a quick search, I think I understand what USSD codes are - in principle anyway.

@Filip:

I think that the Browser thought it is a phone number and if Number Validator is chosen, AMS will check if it is not an USSD code and if so, it will block it. This is to protect your device from being, for example, wiped by a webpage.

But what will the phone number (or code) be checked against? a pre-existing list in the program? or a list on the "network".

@Klinker:

For me, it was when "clicking" on a phone number received within a SMS.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
But what will the phone number (or code) be checked against? a pre-existing list in the program? or a list on the "network".

Hi,

I don't think we owe you answer to that question :) It's checked against something, that's all you need to know :)

Filip

Nawach

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »

Hi,

I don't think we owe you answer to that question :) It's checked against something, that's all you need to know :)

Filip

Understood ;D

Thanks, Filip