Author Topic: WebRep crashing and causing hangs  (Read 2568 times)

Himochi

WebRep crashing and causing hangs
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
For the past couple of months, whenever we load Google Chrome on this computer to start browsing the internet, it just hangs and hangs. The homepage will load instantly, but the first site you try to go to will just sit there grinding away for a good solid minute or two before it decides to move. Originally we thought maybe it was just the internet or the computer, but recently we think we discovered the real problem.

Yesterday, in the midst of trying to load our first site for the day, we got a bubble in the bottom right corner of the screen saying "Avast WebRep has crashed. Click this bubble to reload the extension." We did so, and everything moved along fine (including loading the pages) for about 30 seconds until it again hung up, froze, and gave us that bubble. We finally had to force Chrome to close, reloaded, went through the initial first-page hang, and Googled for some answers. We turned up a LOT of very similar problems with WebRep crashing or massively slowing down computers, which was pretty telling.

Today it went completely bonkers, crashing and having its icon completely disappear from beside the Chrome URL bar. Each time the icon went byebye, the browser picked right up and ran like a charm.

Since we only frequent sites we're VERY familiar with (we've had enough scares with malware and viruses for one life time), is it safe to turn the WebRep extension off in Chrome? I'd like to test and see if that really is what's causing these crazy problems.

Thanks in advance!

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: WebRep crashing and causing hangs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
Open avast user interface' from the menu

...or double-click the desktop icon of installed avast! antivirus software to open the avast! user interface,

Click the 'ADDITIONAL PROTECTION' tab and from the unfolded submenu select 'WebRep'.

There you will see the list with the icons of supported Web browsers. Colored icons indicate Web Browsers present on your computer with the WebRep plugin installed, while gray icons indicate Web Browsers which are not present on your computer or have not the plugin installed.  to uninstall the plugin click 'Uninstall' next to the colored icon of your Web browser.and go to the option chrome extensions

open the browser chrome extensions tab
Open the folder files and programs> AVAST Software> Avast> WebRep> Chrome and find the file
AswWebRepChrome.crx drag and drop the file to the chrome extensions tab to pop up a window and click ok to add. ready.
check enabled and activated.

Master0fPuppets

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »
Thank you. I've been having a gazillion other PC problems (hardware-related) so I haven't had time to search around for answers - I'm glad I checked here... this was driving me more insane than I already am. :) Thanks again!!

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »
I thank for the words, but currently have no time to continue
maybe in the next few weeks will definitely be leaving the forum
due to being busy with personal projects. :)