Author Topic: Scheduled scan  (Read 7196 times)

Auntbee20

Scheduled scan
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »
Hello, I am a newbie here and not a real bright one..LOl..I recently downloaded the free Avast virus protection, but I don't really understand how it works. Like for example how do I scan my whole computer?
And how do I do a scheduled virus scan so that it runs the same time every day? Appreciate your help and your time.
Auntbee

yawetage

Re: Scheduled scan
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »
To do a full system scan just right click your Avast! icon in the system tray on the bottom right corner of your desktop and click "Start Avast! antivirus". A gray blue box (the Simple User Interface) will appear with a play and a pause button and other buttons. Click on the folder icon (when you mouse over it will say "folder selection"). Then check all the boxes, click OK and press the play button. This is a full system scan. To scan your entire machine including boot sectors you need to do a boot time scan. To do this simply go to the Avast! Simple User Interface (the grey blue box), right click the up arrow in the top left corner and select "schedule boot time scan". Select "scan all local disks", "advanced options" and "scan archive files". Your computer will now shut down and you entire machine will be scanned (this takes a while so make sure you won't need your computer for the next few hours). When your computer starts up it will give you a log of what it found. You can't actually schedule a scan for a certain time in Avast! Home, (free version) but Avast! is constantly scanning your computer; whenever you see the blue "a" icon moving that means Avast! is scanning your computer.
If you need more info, there is a detailed user's manual with pictures here or just ask if you have any more questions. Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:17:48 PM »
...Click on the folder icon (when you mouse over it will say "folder selection"). Then check all the boxes, click OK and press the play button. This is a full system scan.

Wouldn't it just be easier/quicker to select the local disks ???

Auntbee20

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
Thanks very much yawetage , you have been VERY helpful, and have eased my mind. I really like Avast for the fact that after I removed Panda anti virus from my computer and added Advast, I was amazed at how fast my computer boots up and how much faster it operates. As well, I would continually get "Internet Explorer page cannot be displayed." This was so frustrating because I would be right in the middle of something and this would come up. The only way to get rid of it was to x out of it and open the pages again. I appreciate your time and I hope you have a great evening!
Auntbee

Auntbee20

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:46:32 PM »
Okay, I did the first scan that you suggested and when it was finished scanning there were a list of files and across from it it said, "Unable to scan AR...
What does that mean. Does it mean the files weren't scanned.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:50:20 PM »
Okay, I did the first scan that you suggested and when it was finished scanning there were a list of files and across from it it said, "Unable to scan AR...
What does that mean. Does it mean the files weren't scanned.
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
Hi Auntbee20,

If you were to expand the column you would find that it says:
'Unable to scan: Archive is password protected'

This is essentially telling you that, because avast! doesn't have the password, it cannot scan the file.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

-Scott-

EDIT:didn't see Tech's post ;)

yawetage

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »
Oops, sorry about that; I do boot time scans only. ;D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:04 AM »
Regarding scheduling a scan, this is a feature available in the Pro version, not the Home.
My experience suggests that scanning is not required very often. I've gone from doing it daily to weekly and now to about every month or two, becaue it is so seldom anything is found. (Suggests the protection in my setup, which is basically Avast, a Hosts file/SpywareBlaster, and a firewall) is pretty good.

Manual scanning is recommended when Avast is first installed, then (in my experience) you can let the on-access protection prevent the nasties getting in.

When you run a manual scan, it is helpful to place an Eicar (simulated virus file) near the beginning of the C:\Windows folder, so it will be detected early. At that poinst you can address the popup, (select "no action", and "don't show me this next time") and that way the drive will be completely scanned, and the results can be addressed.

If you don't do that, the scan will stop at the first detection, awaiting your input. If you've gone to bed with a scan running and see that waiting for you the next morning it's a bit frustrating. Especially if the detection is only 10% in.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »
Regarding scheduling a scan, this is a feature available in the Pro version, not the Home.
Version 5 free will have a scheduler also.
The best things in life are free.

Auntbee20

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »
I would like to say a BIG than you to all of you who responded to my questions. You have been a marvelous help. Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!
Auntbee

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
Do you hate the default avast! skin that looks more like what a media player should look like?
http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=24

Boot time Avast Antivirus Scanning
http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php