Author Topic: Avast blocked a suspicious URL, when I was using Hotmail  (Read 31023 times)

EagleGhost

Avast blocked a suspicious URL, when I was using Hotmail
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
When I was using Hotmail, Avast reported, that "suspicious URL blocked" and "web shield has blocked the activity of a malicious site". The blocked virus was called "URL:Mal". Is this something serious or a false positive? Here's a screenshot about that. Please note, that my translations might not be 100% correct, because I'm using the Finnish version of Avast.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast blocked a suspicious URL, when I was using Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
It is not blocking malware but it is blocking a URL that is listed as bad
Did you click a link when this happend ?

do a quick scan with avast
also do a quick scan with this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 http://filehippo.com/software/antimalware/
always update so you have latest database before you scan
click the remove selected button to quarantine anything found

you may post the scan log here if anything is found

koam

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
When I was using Hotmail, Avast reported, that "suspicious URL blocked" and "web shield has blocked the activity of a malicious site". The blocked virus was called "URL:Mal". Is this something serious or a false positive? Here's a screenshot about that. Please note, that my translations might not be 100% correct, because I'm using the Finnish version of Avast.

I have repeatedly received the same Avast pop up with audio: "Threat has been detected" when navigating in Hotmail today. I have not been clicking links.  The warning comes up when I go tot he upper right of Hotmail and use the pulldown to switch accounts.  This is something I have done every day for years in Hotmail, with Avast installed.  

It appears to be a false positive.  I did a quick scan with Avast and showed no infections. My Avast stats show nothing blocked.  

I use Chrome as my main browser.

This may be related to being "logged in" to MSN Messenger while in the Hotmail session.  I don't use Messenger and noticed that I was logged into the service.  When I logged out I didn't get the Avast warning.  I logged back in and got the Avast warning again when changing accounts within Hotmail.

I can't get a screenshot of my Avast pop up, but the Kohde/Object: is very similar to EaglGhost's up through "KpU8"  after that the code changes each time.  The process is Chrome, rather than Firefox.

The URL for Hotmail while logged in is:
hXXp://sn110w.snt110.mail.live.com/default.aspx?rru=inbox&wa=wsignin1.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:23:22 PM by koam »

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
I got the same thing this morning. Avast updated shortly after booting up. I accessed them OK about 10 hours ago before definitions updated.
Joe

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »
I can't get a screenshot of my Avast pop up.....
If you click the "Pin" in top right corner of the pop-up it will stay on the screen
in avast 6 you can also adjust the time pop-ups stay up

koam

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »
I can't get a screenshot of my Avast pop up.....
If you click the "Pin" in top right corner of the pop-up it will stay on the screen
in avast 6 you can also adjust the time pop-ups stay up
Thanks for the tip.  I tried the pin. My bad for using ALT + PRNT SCRN out of habit rather than PRNT SCRN and then editing.  I cannot get Windows to treat the pop up as the active window for ALT+PRNT SCRN. 

In any case, my popup is the same as the OP's so there's no need for it at the moment.

udm

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
I'm getting this as well. Hopefully it's just a false positive and not a hiccup with Hotmail itself.

EagleGhost

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »
Did you click a link when this happend ?

No, I didn't click any link. I only logged in to Hotmail and checked my inbox.

Malwarebytes found nothing. I'll run Avast next.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:46:37 PM by EagleGhost »

Dazza1901

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »
Same issues here. Really annoying.

Why do things like this always happen when you least need them to? I'm in the middle of setting up my wife with a Live new account on her netbook and can't do a thing because of this nagging FP. Curse you, Murphys Law!

Tried it in Firefox and Opera, and the same results occur.

Grrrr!

Charo

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
Hi,

I have the same problem.

It's been like an hour since I noticed it, is it Hotmail or Avast? I'm afraid to log into my other accounts.

Thanks for your help.

becoolboy

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
yup same thing happend to me. but it seems ok if u access it thru ur window live messenger

montybanks

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
re the Wlxrs.com url blocking.

I am not even using Hotmail and I was linking a sub link in Wikipedia ( using Safari) It seems that in the latest update, AVAST has included a false positive which is causing problems across many sites.

SanderN8H

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Also got the problem here...

The moment I logged in on hotmail I got several messages and when clicking another button while still logged in (f.e. press the button to see your inbox) Avast just kept continueing to block URL's (got 10/10 in the lower right corner of Avast's message at some point, each representing an URL-block in the +/- 1 minute I was logged in). It seemed that the moment I pressed a button I got several messages in a single "wave" and then it stops, till I press another buttong and get another "wave" of messages.
I looked through them and it appears to be the same 1 or 2 "objects" (at least, the first number of digits wich I could actually see where mostly the same).

P.S. every time I say "message" or "messages", I'm refering of Avast saying it blocked an URL.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:57:56 PM by SanderN8H »

koam

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
yup same thing happend to me. but it seems ok if u access it thru ur window live messenger

Messenger is apparently a factor.

In my case, I'm using Hotmail on the Windows Live website in Chrome.  I'm not using the Messenger application at all.

Within the Windows Live site, you can log into Windows Live and access your Hotmail accounts...Messenger is an additional function within the site and you can elect to log into that or not while staying logged into Hotmail.

I have 4 Hotmail accounts linked in Windows Live accessible through any browser.  If one of those Hotmail accounts is "logged in" to Messenger within the browser, then I get the Avast warning.  If I make sure to log out of Messenger, the Avast warnings stop.  I do not intentionally log into the Messenger within the browser, but it seems to log me into Messenger automatically at times.

Despite multiple warnings from Avast, it doesn't appear to be blocking anything I want to do.  I can still access all my Hotmail accounts and emails.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:59:04 PM by koam »

pepe2

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Hmm, it's only happening in Hotmail for me so far but it looks like it's the images used in themes that are being blocked.