Author Topic: Possible virus affecting Win Defender? Avast! and Malwarebytes showing nothing?  (Read 7926 times)

Philo

Hey guys,
I know this my be more of a Microsoft Windows Defender issue, but I'm really hoping one of the pro's here can help me out.
Here's what's up:
I've noticed for the last few days, the small defender icon on my tray has the yellow exclamation point on it. When I clicked it, it says, "Definitions allow Windows Defender to detect the latest harmful software and prevent it from running on your computer." Then, there's the "check for Updates" button.
Now, when I hit the Check for Updates, it does it's thing and I get a little box with a red circle w/a white X in it and it says, no updates available??
I have it set for automatic updates.I've checked it from the icon on the tray and from the security center accessed from the start menu.
I've read that malware will often block access to updates and even websites, like Microsoft's.
Considering this, I've run full Avast! scans W/archives and full malwarebytes scans, also full superantispyware scans. Got nothing infected on any of them.

Do any of you guys have any idea what's going on? please, any help would be much appreciated, this is driving my batty!   ??? :-\ :-[ :'(

Thanks,
Philo

P.S. some one recommended disabling defender and downloading Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) instead? Anyone know anything about this MSE, outside of what's on the Microsoft Website?

Philo

BTW,
have a compaq pressario, Windows Vista SP2 use IE and firefox.

Philo

Come on guys, can't anyone help me with this?
Please, I begging over here. :(
the Microsoft furoms are about worthless.

yawetage

I don't use Windows Defender but you can most likely try a manual download. I assume Microsoft is still supporting it they are phasing it out to be replaced by Security Essentials.

How to manually download definitions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:44:09 AM by yawetage »

Philo

thank you. That's what I was wondering. is defender just not getting the updates for some reason? Should I down load essentials instead? don't know what to do here.

Philo

Will I have to uninstall Avast! and malwarebytes to use windows essentials? Will they conflict?

YoKenny

I have Windows Defender on my XP Pro system and it gets updates once per day.

Microsoft Security Essentials is OK but do not enable Real-time protection as avast!'s real time protection could interfere.

It is set to only run a Quick scan once per week after downloading updates.

I'll have to fire up the XP System to find out what you are discussing.

Philo

thanks Kenny. If that's all it does than I guess I'm probably ok to stick with Avast! and malwarebytes eh?
I just wish I could find out why I can't get the yellow exclamation point of my defender shield on my tray.

YoKenny

You need to get the latest definition from the Windows Defender portal:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:13:58 AM by YoKenny »

Philo

@ YoKenny:
Thanks bud, that worked. Any idea why I had to download the update like that? All is set to automatic updates.

thanks again bud, I owe you one :)

YoKenny

Windows Defender is a bit strange but I set it to update when I know the system is powered up and on line.  

I'm loving my Windows 7 64-bit system that I just upgraded from Vista 32 bit.

Its a pleasure helping avast! users.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:26:22 AM by YoKenny »

Philo

I also have the vista 32-bit home premium is 7 that good? is it worth the upgrade? I can get it free through my college.
I'm on a HP compaq pressario with a intel pentium dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.49 GB
System type 32-bit OS
288GB HD with 213GB unused

If I upgrade to 7 do you think it will run slowly on this set up? or will it run as fast as it does now, (Which is pretty good)?

YoKenny

Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

If you can get Windows 7 free then go for it.

Philo

Cool. I will do that. Thank you again for all your help YoKenny, I was getting worried there for awhile.

As usual, Avast! forum helpers make it all better.

Goodnight,
Philo