Author Topic: Avast 2 minute load at startup?  (Read 15878 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Avast 2 minute load at startup?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 05:16:33 PM »
And also, the model of the HD would tell us a lot. It's well known that Seagate and Maxtor HD are one of the quietest HD out there... however Western Digital HDs are one of those that makes a lot of noise while searching/reading/writting... Great deal in making noise, also have a speed and the size of the harddrive. See just one example:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200302/200302276Y200x0_6.html

Also, never forget that if your HD or just your OS partition is fragmented, it will always take a while. Defragment your HDs on a regular basis...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 05:18:49 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

JohnJohn

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »
Hello.

Everything mentioned by everyone is not the problem.  I checked all of the things mentioned before i came to this forum.

I'm coming to the conclusion that AVAST needs to go.   It scans every little move i make on my computer, it's disruptive and I think that is how it is set up to work.

Sorry folks.

kamulko

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »
You have the right of your opinion. I say this: millions of users appreciate the flexibility and the efficience of this program. This is the best reply and you must say "Sorry" to yourself, I think.  ;D Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 12:00:43 AM by Kamulko! »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 12:06:46 AM »
I'm coming to the conclusion that AVAST needs to go.   It scans every little move i make on my computer, it's disruptive and I think that is how it is set up to work.

avast! is probably the most configurable AV about, certainly that I have ever used. You can tweak the settings so it doesn't scan every little move you make, you will however be a little more vulnerable. It is your computer and your decision on protection V performance, etc. but beware of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If you are prepared to learn a little more about avast (we are prepared to help, as we have been trying to do), you will see how configurable it is. If you aren't prepared to do this, it will be your loss and good luck with your next AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 12:46:17 AM »
Hello.

Everything mentioned by everyone is not the problem.  I checked all of the things mentioned before i came to this forum.

Sorry folks.

Hey JohnJohn, let me give you a fact here:  There are over ten new virus discover each day that totals  about over 500 new virus in just one month.  Without a Up-to-date Antivirus program that also scans every file or website you visited, your computer will be toasted faster than a toaster toasting your bread.  Avast! needs to scan everything you open or visited cause no one knows where a virus lurks in the shadows of the World Wide Web.   ;)

ala

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 02:39:25 PM »
I had the same problem too ! the noise from the hard disk untolerable  ??? at start and after...it goes on for ages to no end ... ;Dno way you could use it !it has to be fixed sooner than later .....Iam already migrated .....reached a point I lost all the data !
I am glad without it now ! ???

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 03:00:58 PM »

I'v never heard of this before If your harddrive is making a grrring type noise it really sounds like

a harddisk drive on the way out. there are some utilities available to test this.HDD are prone to

sudden and unexpected failure. correct me if I'm wrong ??
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »
I had the same problem too ! the noise from the hard disk untolerable  ??? at start and after...it goes on for ages to no end ... ;Dno way you could use it !it has to be fixed sooner than later .....Iam already migrated .....reached a point I lost all the data !
I am glad without it now ! ???

And this has nothing to do with avast!... again...  ::)  You don't kow how can we use it ? Well, we took some time to configure everything properly and to learn about our antivirus and our internet security. You didn't do that, so every single time you find some small problem, you will migrate to some other antivirus... and btw, leave the traces of your old antivirus in Windows Registry, 'cause I'm pretty sure you didn't take enough time to uninstall it properly as well. I'm not sure you'll find something that suits you... it's always easier to run away from problems, than to try to solve them. So many people in these forums are trying to help people like you, spending their precious spare time, and then all of a sudden, you run away...  ::)

Well, be happy with your new antivirus... but one thing we all are 100% sure... are you going to get 24/7 technical support and best of all, completely free of charge ? I'm not so sure about that one...

.....reached a point I lost all the data !

You said it yourself...  you've already lost your data... because, your hard drive is dying. See what P3t3rb0nn told you in his previous reply:

If your harddrive is making a grrring type noise it really sounds like a harddisk drive on the way out

Also, as I can see Ala, this is your very first post in these forums... that means, you never even bothered to come here to ask for help, maybe to try to find a solution for your problem... but, now you are here...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 07:05:28 PM by sZc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MFB

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 03:15:15 AM »

I'v never heard of this before If your harddrive is making a grrring type noise it really sounds like

a harddisk drive on the way out. there are some utilities available to test this.HDD are prone to

sudden and unexpected failure. correct me if I'm wrong ??

This "Grrr" type noise should only be sound if you have just finish scanning your memory, but avast! never did that, only programs like McAfee.   :-\ Hmm...

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 10:11:52 PM »
Hi.

I'm a new user of Avast. I installed the Home Edition yesterday.

I'm on winxp pro, 768mb, PIII processor.

When I installed avast. Everything was fine except that every time I boot my computer, avast would load and my drive would make this irritating noise as if it were doing something major.

I went into msconfig, I disable avast, restarted my comp, and on startup (right after desktop loads) I got the same 2 minute "GRRRRRRRRR" from my hard drive.

IN the task panel, a component of avast was still running, even though I completely disabled it in msconfig.

Why does avast take so long to load/become active each time I boot. I only have web sheild and internet mail enabled.  What the heck is it doing???

Likely a bad HDD!!! Thus you shall think about getting another HDD!!!

sub-rosa

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 05:20:09 AM »
Hi.

I'm a new user of Avast. I installed the Home Edition yesterday.

I'm on winxp pro, 768mb, PIII processor.

When I installed avast. Everything was fine except that every time I boot my computer, avast would load and my drive would make this irritating noise as if it were doing something major.

I went into msconfig, I disable avast, restarted my comp, and on startup (right after desktop loads) I got the same 2 minute "GRRRRRRRRR" from my hard drive.

IN the task panel, a component of avast was still running, even though I completely disabled it in msconfig.

Why does avast take so long to load/become active each time I boot. I only have web sheild and internet mail enabled.  What the heck is it doing???

I'm sure others may balk at my suggestions below, but I too had a problem with ashserv at one point, but no longer.

If JohnJohn never returns, maybe this may help someone else.

Here is what I did:

dl a fresh copy of avast 4.652 ck to make sure bytes match
8.9 MB (9,240,024 bytes)

alternatively md5 = d843a2b666d95bb9a6fdc8933c44a8f6

1) completely uninstall Avast
2) use jv16 power tools or something like regcleaner to ck and make sure all traces of Avast are gone... you will be pleased to see that the program cleans up very well.
3) do a search for *.tmp

most should be located in \windows\temp

delete the temp files which are older than a couple of days

4) If windows xp has this or equivalent open my computer,
right click your c drive, select properties, use tools to ck for errors on your c drive

if that comes up clean

do a defrag.

4) restart your pc
5) when you are up and running, shut down all non required programs, you can use a process viewer (spybot has one) or ctrl+alt+del

once you are bare bones

6)  use start, run to run setupeng.exe
7) use custom install, load only what you need

definitely webshield, standard shield, internet mail etc

do not use the wizard to configure your email scan, if you do, ashMaiServ.exe will start everytime, my experience is this is a resource hog unless all you are doing is downloading mail all day long, I would set to run manual

8) after you successfully load the program and restart

hopefully without grinding sound

+ right click avast in sys tray and check for jAVS update only

when done...

+ right click avast ball again go to program settings and change automatic update to manual

if you want to disable sounds while you are there feel free

+ right click avast again this time go to On-Access Protection Control

+ set up webshield

if you use a proxy use this link:

http://www.avast.com/eng/my_isp_wants_me_to_u.html

or

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12153.60

under advanced select silent mode

+ terminate standard shield or if you want to keep it running as fail safe then under basic scan take out all (3) of those scans, under advanced scan tab, put check marks beside:

scan on open
always scan wsh files
scan created/modified files - only for files with selected extensions

select default extensions

ok out... test and enjoy!

it worked for me:

b4 i did the above an old ME lap w/ 600 Mghtz Pent II would hang up on start up occasionally so bad desk top would not load

also when I dld eicar.com on my first install ashserv got hung up and would not respond

GL

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 09:51:06 PM »
It's well known that Seagate and Maxtor HD are one of the quietest HD out there... however Western Digital HDs are one of those that makes a lot of noise while searching/reading/writting...

You're right!!!! I had the same experiences with Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital.