Author Topic: Email with infected .zip attachment  (Read 3952 times)

knolle

Email with infected .zip attachment
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:37:08 PM »
I am using the latest Avast home version. Internet-mail provider is running with best options.
Now I got a mail with an infected .zip attachment. Avast mail scanner found no virus - direct scan found an evil worm...
Is this a correct behaviour?
Does the mailscanner not scan into archives? Is this a "pro" feature?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email with infected .zip attachment
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:50:43 PM »
It does scan attachments and if avast standard shield can detect it so should the mail scanner.

What email program are you using?
Is your email being scanned?
Was this pop3 email or web based email (yahoo/hotmail, etc.?
What are your mail scanner settings?

Zip file attachments represent a low level risk, first you have to open it and second you have to activate the payload (infected file inside), so if missed by the mail scanner, save the attachment to disk first don't open it. That action should ensure standard shield scans it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

knolle

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »
ok, I'm using
- Thunderbird 1.02
- email is scanned (writes "clean" into mail)
- pop3
- mail scanner setting is set to best protection

after all the question is simple:
Does Avast scan email attachments completely or not?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:34:50 PM »
after all my answer was simple
"It does scan attachments and if avast standard shield can detect it so should the mail scanner."

Why it didn't in this case is a mystery.

Do you perhaps have Silent Mode with general answer equals Yes (rather than No) in the settings?

There can be a problem with Thunderbird and avast when trying to remove an infected email from the inbox database as it can't simply extract the email (like it can in OE), so care should be taken otherwise you could lose your inbox (as per the Thunderbird on-line FAQs). The safest way is to manually identify the email and delete it in TB and then clear/empty the deleted emails folder. This obviously doesn't explain why it wasn't detected in the first place, just trying to ensure you don't lose your inbox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »
Please forward me the mail (the whole source i.e. menu Message->Forward as->Attachment) to peterka@avast.com, thank you.