Author Topic: outlook express SMTP  (Read 5828 times)

Bogie3

outlook express SMTP
« on: June 21, 2003, 05:07:23 AM »
I have upgraded to the new program and was hoping it would correct my problem with not being able to connect thru 127.0.0.1 for outgoing mail to be checked but nothing has changed. Avast scans incoming thru pop3 but will not connect to Avast to scan outgoing and then changing it to ISP server address. It scans incoming thru Mailwasher and then loads to my outlook express and it is all marked clean by avast.

Outlook express with the SMTP address of 127.0.0.1 is rejected by my ISP. I have to change it to "mail" and then it goes thru my ISP but it is not scanned by Avast going out. It works fine coming in. I cant believe that I am the only one with this problem. I have tried all the fixes and nothing has worked.

Running W2000,Outlook Express 6.0,current on all updates of avast, and no error message in the log that I can see.

Hoping to get this resolved
Thanks
Bogie3

:'(

Jan_Ko

Re:outlook express SMTP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 03:39:39 PM »
Hallo,

Why are you so keen to check outgoing mail?  If Avast!4 is keeping your PC free of viruses its not necessary in my opinion to check outgoing mail.

I know that almost most anti virus programs do this check, but in my opinion it is a needless operation. I think that long time ago a manufacturer of anti virus programs wanted to distinguish his program and added this feature.  His competitors could not stay behind and so this fairy-tale became a standard part of anti virus software.  In my opinion, as I wrote above, indeed a fairy-tale.  If your PC is free of any virus how could you sent a virus with your e-mail.  Besides that almost most viruses are distributed via attachments to e-mail and those attachments are almost most executable files (.exe).  I think that a good virus scan program as Avast! 4 on the receiving PC is the only necessary operation.

More important are the so called worms.  They can spread out all over the world without active actions of the PC user.  However you can partly block a worm to use your address book by both the first and the last address in your e-mail address book making fakes with a name in the address book but without an e-mail address to that name.  If the worm wants to start his sending operation, either from A to Z or from Z to A, to the e-mail addresses in your address book if discovers a failure and stops.  I don’t know if newer worms can handle this but for some time ago it was an pretty reliable way to block worms to uses your PC to spread out over the world.

If the Avast people don’t agree with me I’d liked to learn about.

Jan

TimN

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 03:49:06 PM »
"Outlook express with the SMTP address of 127.0.0.1 is rejected by my ISP"

As doing this sends your mail out via avast, it sounds like the default smtp address that avast uses to contact your ISP is wrong. When you first set up mail protection it should have asked you to chose this. You can check if it is OK in the avast4.ini file by seeing if "YOUR_ISP" is set correctly.
Should look something like this

[MailScanner]

DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.YOUR_ISP.com

Bogie3

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 07:45:28 PM »
Jan_Ko

I guess I am just anal about something if it is suppose to work and it must be working for others and not me. I agree if Avast checks it coming in and it is clean it will be the same way going out. Just dont like not being able to figure out why it doesnt.

TimN
Believe me I have changed the address everyway that it can be changed verbatim from the mail setup in the help file and alot of my own combinations. All have failed to connect to my ISP thru Avast. The route of the SMTP would be from my Outlook Express to Avast and them Avast would send on to my ISP. But it never goes to Avast from Outlook Express that I can tell. It looks as though it would scan it and then forward it on to my ISP but should hang in Avast if the address was wrong there. It keeps telling me 127.0.0.1 is not known. What is funny I am at work using Avast on my PC here and it works both ways just fine. Only difference is this has 98SE and a different ISP.

Thanks for the replies
Bogie3

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 12:39:14 PM »
I suppose we are talking about this error:
The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'Home mail', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '+OK avast! POP3 proxy ready.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

Please try this:
insert this line to file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ini into section [MailScanner]
UseWSAAccept=0
Terminate process ashMaiSv.exe and start it again. Let me know if it has some effect on outgoing mail.

Bogie3

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 12:25:39 AM »
 ;D
Vojtech

That fixed it. The SMTP is working like the POP3 now.
Thanks very much for your help. I feel much better about the program now.

I was hit by a virus today and Avast knocked it cold. Great Job. The funny part about it it had a Subject name of Avast4 or maybe that wasnt funny.

thanks again
Bogie3