Author Topic: AIS is changing my active network profile in windows 7  (Read 20606 times)

soryps

AIS is changing my active network profile in windows 7
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »
Hello! I am facing a very frustrating problem. I have a small network at my shop that has 3 windows and 7 linux boxes.
The network is working fine except for one pc ( lets call it PC1) running the following:
Avast Internet Security version: 2014.9.0.2016
Windows 7 SP1
Windows Firewal On
We use windows file sharing heavily as not all boxes have windows 7, so a homegroup is not an option (not that it works for PC1).

If we uninstall avast IS ( or if we boot into safe mode) we can select the networks type as Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center and then if we go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings we see Home or Work and Public as profiles, and the most important nothing has (current profile) next to it.

If we install avast IS we can  select the networks type as Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center and then if we go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings we see Home or Work and Public (current profile) as profiles, and now it has (current profile) next to it.

We have tried everything from hotfixes to registry editing (with backup of-course) but the current profile flag does not go away and the file sharing has to be done by allowing it to the public profile, which is unacceptable as once a week PC1 changes to a public VPN network that we don't trust.

From the Avast GUI I have checked settings/Active protection/Firewall/Allow all connections with friends in private mode = enabled
and the network is  Private + Friends..

I have to add that before the latest update for avast, everything was working as expected and the  Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center didn't have (current profile) next to it.

All other PCs are running winXP and 1 of them win 8.1 . PC1 + win8.1 + one XP machine run avast IS. Only PC1 has the problem.

Thank you!

PS. A complete windows re installation, is out of the question and has no meaning for us as it was an otherwise clean pc with only one program running (inventory management) for a year and a half without a problem.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: AIS is changing my active network profile in windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
Try setting Avast Firewall to Internet Connection Sharing Mode

soryps

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I have already tried that and it doesn't work.

panchalshp

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »
Hello! I am facing a very frustrating problem. I have a small network at my shop that has 3 windows and 7 linux boxes.
The network is working fine except for one pc ( lets call it PC1) running the following:
Avast Internet Security version: 2014.9.0.2016
Windows 7 SP1
Windows Firewal On
We use windows file sharing heavily as not all boxes have windows 7, so a homegroup is not an option (not that it works for PC1).

If we uninstall avast IS ( or if we boot into safe mode) we can select the networks type as Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center and then if we go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings we see Home or Work and Public as profiles, and the most important nothing has (current profile) next to it.

If we install avast IS we can  select the networks type as Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center and then if we go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings we see Home or Work and Public (current profile) as profiles, and now it has (current profile) next to it.

We have tried everything from hotfixes to registry editing (with backup of-course) but the current profile flag does not go away and the file sharing has to be done by allowing it to the public profile, which is unacceptable as once a week PC1 changes to a public VPN network that we don't trust.

From the Avast GUI I have checked settings/Active protection/Firewall/Allow all connections with friends in private mode = enabled
and the network is  Private + Friends..

I have to add that before the latest update for avast, everything was working as expected and the  Home Network from the Network and Sharing Center didn't have (current profile) next to it.

All other PCs are running winXP and 1 of them win 8.1 . PC1 + win8.1 + one XP machine run avast IS. Only PC1 has the problem.

Thank you!

PS. A complete windows re installation, is out of the question and has no meaning for us as it was an otherwise clean pc with only one program running (inventory management) for a year and a half without a problem.

I have the same problem.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
Could you update to the latest version and see if that cures it

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=149104.0

panchalshp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
Could you update to the latest version and see if that cures it

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=149104.0

Thanks for your reply, I am trying now

Did not work!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:48:46 PM by panchalshp »

soryps

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:05 AM »
The update did not work for me also.......

panchalshp

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »
Instead of fixing the problem this update is now showing "antivirus is turned off" in my action center.
Which I can not turn on

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
That is a windows bug, you can resolve that by right clicking the Avast Icon > Disable all shields until reboot.
Reboot 

panchalshp

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
I uninstalled completely and re-installed avast (repair did not work). It seems to be working fine. but after restarting my system the problem came back.
Now my firewall shows Private network connected

soryps

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
That is a windows bug, you can resolve that by right clicking the Avast Icon > Disable all shields until reboot.
Reboot

No this is NOT a windows bug. Avast 2 updates back was working correctly. Windows without Avast is working correctly. Avast is clearly faulty now.
Anyway I tried what you suggested and guess what... nothing.
So instead of blaming windows I suggest you listen to us.
I for one, cannot accept a paid security product to have so fundamental problems.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:45:12 PM by soryps »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Instead of fixing the problem this update is now showing "antivirus is turned off" in my action center.
Which I can not turn on
The action centre problem is a known windows fault.  That is what I was referring to.  It happens with all AV's at some stage.  I have never experienced it myself but several others have

Yamash

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
I'm also with the same problem, I was wondering what was happening and started to search about that, I found some threads within windows sites, there was people that was using avast and other that doesn't, some of that people that was using avast has the exaclty same problem and the other with some differences, I used a microsoft fix and this helped me just for a while because as I've tested avast has changed back it to public, meanwhile I've installed some machines with AIS and this also occurred with them.

I still searching for a solution and total uninstalling of AIS is not in my list.

Based in everything that I was read it's really possible that this is a Windows bug, yes, but this is more easily happened when using AIS.

soryps

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Ok. let's say it is a windows bug and accept that Avast is great and neat. Why don't you suggest us a fix then? Why don't you investigate further?
But again, how can it be simply a windows bug when it appeared AFTER that dreadful update of AIS and it disappears when we uninstall it, install it again with no firewall and does not appear again if we install another firewall application?
I wonder why...
Please avast people I really like the product and I want to renew in 50 days. Please make me and make my day.
Thank you!
Oh and something else. Not all users care about UI trendiness.

cellist_mike

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
I'm having the same problem since the latest AIS update, on my desktop and notebook, both Windows 7 SP1.  I've tried the same steps already discussed, ensuring allow friends is active, verifying IP ranges.  My initial thought was a new conflict with the windows firewall, but the FAQ for AIS 2014 indicates that windows firewall should continue, as before, to be left on.