Author Topic: Generic data gathering opt-out  (Read 4323 times)

IcedPenguin

Generic data gathering opt-out
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
When updating avast states that you can opt-out of this "generic data gathering" feature through the avast account connected with it. However I cannot find this option in the avast GUI nor can I find it on my.avast.com in my settings. What I'd like to know is where I can opt-out of this. Also is this the same as the community IQ feature (this can be opted-out without a connected avast account to begin with) or something entirely different? And would avast not gather this information if I disconnected my account or would it still gather information, connecting the account and disabling the option being the only way of opt-out?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Generic data gathering opt-out
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
The "generic data" is nothing personal. avast gathers information in order to make their products better and more
user friendly. To disable this function...GUI>Settings>General>scroll down to "community features" and untick the box.

For more about how and what avast does with this information see section eight...

http://files.avast.com/files/legal/eula-avast-mobile.pdf

And http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126470.msg950033#msg950033
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
During installation, it says "Please take a moment to read" or something like this across the entire interface. There you can uncheck the participation in CommunityIQ (though it doesn't say CommunityIQ directly iirc).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
Hi,
yes RejZor is right. Unfortunately the settings to currently included in the CommunityIQ switch. So if you don't want to send aggregated stats, uncheck the CommunityIQ option in plugin settings.