Author Topic: Another crap installation.  (Read 4474 times)

Paul_D

Another crap installation.
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
Today I updated Avast Free through the program. After the required reboot I was thoroughly pissed off to see that I was getting DropBox as well. There may well have been an opt-out after the reboot, but I should NOT need to sit through a reboot to catch it. And believe me, a reboot on my tired old Vista machine is a long painful process.

If anyone at Avast is listening, at least have the decency to offer the opt-out during the initial installation phase, not after the reboot. The current situation is unconscionable.

AdrianH

Re: Another crap installation.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
+1 

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
+ 2
Absolutely!

cavehomme2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
+1

But don't hold your breath, we commercial product users get the same crap hoisted upon us as well. If Avast Senior Management no longer care about their paid customers then I feel sorry for you free guys, you'll be waiting forever for a change in these spammer tactics by the Avast Marketing Militants  ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
I should be opt-in, not opt-out.
Many people don't pay attention when installing/updating something (they should, I know).

cooby

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »
+4

A new installation has clear opt-out possibility.
But, as Paul_D observed, when updating from GUI and it occurs after reboot, it's hard or impossible to catch. Unless you have another way, a firewall or HIPS, to alert that the offer wants to install.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
I agree with all of you, however the best way to install any product is to do a Custom Install and read what you are installing before you click.  This way you avoid things you do not want like add-on's, toolbars, etc. Always do Custom Installs and read before you click.

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »
I agree with all of you, however the best way to install any product is to do a Custom Install and read what you are installing before you click.  This way you avoid things you do not want like add-on's, toolbars, etc. Always do Custom Installs and read before you click.

But this is NOT an installation, it is an UPDATE through the GUI ................

gertty

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:02 AM »
I also updated throuigh GUI and had to opt out of installing Google toolbar.  Updating Avast Pro :(

Paul_D

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
I am fully aware of all that and practice it religiously, as my original post indicated. And as AdrianH says, this is not an installation, but a (should be) routine update.

I have an aging Vista machine (overdue for replacement) and I load quite a bit at startup. Reboots can take up to five minutes. Yes, I know it's my choice, but that doesn't alter the fact that Avast's behaviour in this instance is unconscionable

Offline jvidal

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
I always update using the installer, that way I can opt out of the unwanted crap...NEVER through the GUI as you will get unwanted junk installed

Paul_D

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
I always update using the installer, that way I can opt out of the unwanted crap...NEVER through the GUI as you will get unwanted junk installed
1. You still have to reboot.

2. Doesn't alter the fact that the company's behaviour is unconscionable.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Yeah, I know, but it's a workaround.