Author Topic: Scan Log Date Is Wrong. Scan Completed in the Future?  (Read 3764 times)

robotarm

Scan Log Date Is Wrong. Scan Completed in the Future?
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
I've been running a boot-time scan the past few nights, as I've noticed my PC was acting strange. And, a java malware virus was detected.  But I also noticed the date of the completed scan was 3/24/2014, eight days in the future. Why would this happen? Should I be concerned?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Scan Log Date Is Wrong. Scan Completed in the Future?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
Is your computer time / date correct?

robotarm

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
Yes, my date is correct on my computer.
I've been checking to see if there is a date option in the Avast Settings but there doesn't seem to be. I'm a bit new to Avast.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »
My question is, why are you running so many boot scans?
Did avast recommend a boot scan "after" a full system scan?
If not, there is little reason to run a boot scan. I haven't ran
a boot scan in years. I run a quick scan once a week and a full scan
once a month.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I've been running a boot-time scan the past few nights, as I've noticed my PC was acting strange. And, a java malware virus was detected.  But I also noticed the date of the completed scan was 3/24/2014, eight days in the future. Why would this happen? Should I be concerned?
As long as your date/time is correct, the reported log scan date should be correct.  Check the condition of your CMOS battery.  Replace it if low or dead.  Reset your time/date on reboot.  Better now?

Symptom of a failing CMOS battery is a system time reset on a cold start to the original BIOS install date/time.  If you're seeing something like 09/12/2009:0204 hours, then it is time to replace the battery.

Running so many scans actually increases your risk of operating system damage, especially with boot-time scans, as the normal Windows File Protection service is not running during a boot scan, so a wrong decision by you, on detection, will damage your system.  Even a normal scan can, when the wrong detection decision is made, can harm your system.

############################################

No need to run daily scans as avast! active real-time scanning is running all the time and checks any files opened or closed for malware and automatically checks all processes for trojan or malicious behavior, and automatically blocks them if found.

A weekly quick scan is sufficient.

############################################

If you continue to have issues, please see this link, and attach all resulting logs in your next reply:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

A malware expert will be contacted for you once your logs are attached.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801