Author Topic: When I update to v5.0 will v4.8 logs, chest, moved, etc be preserved?  (Read 1996 times)

gdv

It appears the default WinXP installation folder for the Avast! v5.0 (Free) update installer will be C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5, whereas my Avast! v4.8 is installed in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4.

My understanding is that the v5.0 installer will detect and uninstall v4.8 before it installs v5.0, but I imagine that means my v4.8 logs, chest, moved, etc. would be deleted, or at least no longer accessible from within the Avast! GUI.  I would like to keep these for historical reference purposes, and of course can (& will) simply back them up... ...But if possible I would like to access them from within the Avast! GUI, and even have them continue as a cumulative record within v5.0.

Does anyone know for sure how the v5.0 installer treats v4.8 logs, chest, moved, etc.?  Would they be preserved and used by v5.0 if I change the default v5.0 installation folder from C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5 to \Avast4?  (I'd prefer not to do that because of the potential confusion that might arise from v5.0 being installed in a folder labeled Avast4, but it would be an acceptable solution if there is no other.)

Thanks! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: When I update to v5.0 will v4.8 logs, chest, moved, etc be preserved?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
All of the avast4 installation including those you mentioned should be removed.

The old logs are of no use to the new avast 5 installation and many are stored in a different location.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security