Author Topic: avast free conflict with lavasoft ad-aware?  (Read 18964 times)

karlamesina

avast free conflict with lavasoft ad-aware?
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
hi. i've been using avast free for some time now, but after i installed ad-aware free i started having problems. when i run the full scan, it always stops without finishing all the folders and files. sometimes it states that a program is stopping avast from running and that i should re-start the program. i hit the fix now button, but the same thing happens. so i'm wondering if there's a potential conflict with ad-aware now.

thanks!

YoKenny

Re: avast free conflict with lavasoft ad-aware?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
Ad-Aware is useless these days.
It has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
It has not kept up with the times and not worth the hard disk space it consumes.

+1 I gave up Ad-Aware 4yrs ago just stick with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Daris

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Depends which Adaware you have....Doesn't the new Adaware also have antivirus....My brother has Adaware with Avast on Windows 7 and no issues... But he did have some issues as the new Avast was blocked with Windows Defender or Microsoft Essentials, which he didn't know was preInstalled when he got his new Computer...

Daris

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
Ohh!!!!  what else are you running on your Computer besides adaware and which version of Windows are you running?

karlamesina

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:29:37 AM »
thanks for the replies!

i'm using windows 7 starter 32 bit and the 2011 avast and ad-aware. ad-aware consumes a lot of memory and runs slower. i've only discovered mbam now because most people talk about spybot only. i still have to check if there's still potential conflict between avast and mbam or avast and spybot and install the pairing that's most compatible with each other.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 02:46:39 AM »
yeah man, get rid of ad aware and install malwarebytes and superantispyware free.
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Artlover

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »

+1 I gave up Ad-Aware 4yrs ago
+1's all around. Just for the consideration of anyone thinking about using it, I too concure with the above. Once apon a time, long ago, it used to be great and I loved it. Now it's shovelware. Doesn't block jack, and it's virus scan is slow, prone to false positives, prone to missing actual viruses and a huge memory & cpu hog. It's a perfect example of what happens when a company decides to take a great product and "improve it" by adding "features" and morphed into a new all-in-one product that does nothing well. It truely is a shame because it "used to" be awesome and a must have.  :'(

karlamesina

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
okay. i uninstalled ad-aware already and then started running avast. still stops the scan at around 14.8gb or 1% without any threat showing up. i'm using avast 6.1000 version, i'm thinking if this is a problem with the latest avast program update. are you guys having the same problem as well?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:55:18 AM »
Did you reboot after uninstalling ad aware? you might need to visit the ad aware site to find the uninstall tool to clean up any leftovers unless you are able to navigate your way through your system to remove any leftovers, if you have spybot installed i would remove that as well as it's known to cause issue's to.
Malwarebytes is the best program for you to run alongside of avast, no conflict's.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »
Ad-Aware has an anti-virus engine which will conflict with avast. The best idea is to keep it simple. Check out our signature for the best software that plays well with avast.

May I suggest   http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
And    http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
And    http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Be sure to update each before running a scan. Using these should help.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

karlamesina

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
i rebooted after the uninstallation process. aw now avast is still stuck at the same time period/file size. it doesn't go through the whole scan! would uninstalling and reinstalling it be a good idea, or would i just be exposing my laptop to more problems? :(

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »
i rebooted after the uninstallation process. aw now avast is still stuck at the same time period/file size. it doesn't go through the whole scan! would uninstalling and reinstalling it be a good idea, or would i just be exposing my laptop to more problems? :(
It might help as ad aware could have damaged avast in some way, uninstall avast and reboot then look in program files and program data for any alwil/avast leftovers and delet,good time to run ccleaner is now, when done reinstall avast.
Get rid of spybot if you have as well before installing avast.

karlamesina

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »
It might help as ad aware could have damaged avast in some way, uninstall avast and reboot then look in program files and program data for any alwil/avast leftovers and delet,good time to run ccleaner is now, when done reinstall avast.
Get rid of spybot if you have as well before installing avast.

since quite a lot of people are recommending MBAM, i'm going to give it a try :) however, is CC cleaner a safe program to install? i've used it before but apart from cleaning out my temp files i didn't much with it.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »
Yes ccleaner is very safe and a good way to keep your system clean and the registry cleaning section is also very good and safe, just about everyone here on the forums uses it plus another excellent tool by the same company is defraggler.