Author Topic: xp Home splash screen freezes after installing avast! 6  (Read 5026 times)

Cstaffa

xp Home splash screen freezes after installing avast! 6
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:16:10 PM »
Installing avast! 6 causes boot to hang on the Windows xp Home splash screen. I can still boot in safe mode. Uninstalling avast! fixes the boot problem.

Help or suggestions are appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: xp Home splash screen freezes after installing avast! 6
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed, anti-spyware, firewall, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cstaffa

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
I had McAfee which I uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs. I also have run Spybot SD and selected Immunize. I have Windows Firewall on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
I would ensure that all remnants are gone - McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed. Check out this page for removal tool and instructions, http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Try disabling the spybot S&D resident protection, as this has cause issues before, though not normally this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
Spybot is not the greatest tool to run with avast these days especially the immunize part as its known to cause problems with avast, you also will want to run the McAfee uninstall tool from here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ number 21a in the list to get rid of any leftovers, reboot after running tool then do a repair of avast.
DavidR's link will give the same tool.

Cstaffa

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »
To clarify, I have not been running a Spybot SD resident process. I ran one scan and used the Immunize tab.

I have been able to boot in regular mode if I first boot in safemode, then in avast! UI, schedule a boot-time scan and hit the restart option in the UI.  Upon completing or canceling the boot-time scan, the boot completes and avast! is loaded.

For this fix, I went through the sequence above to boot in regular mode. I used Spybot SD, Immunize tab, Undo button to remove "passive protection" from items. I downloaded and ran the McAfee removal tool, and hit restart on the tool. Windows shut down and restarted, and the boot hung again at the flash screen.

I then booted in safemode and uninstalled avast!. I rebooted twice in normal mode and then reran the McAfee removal tool. This time the boot after restart ran through and booted in normal mode. I reinstalled avast! and got all the updates. I restarted and normal mode booted well. I thought it might now be fixed, BUT, to be sure, I restarted again and the boot hung at the flash screen.

Cstaffa

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Continuing, I booted in safemode and selected a boot-time scan. Upon restarting, no boot-time scan started, but windows booted well into regular mode.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »
What be your SP number?

Cstaffa

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
Version 2002 SP 3

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
As David mentioned did you disable spybot s&d?
Personally I would get rid of spybot. Try MalwareBytes and Super Anti-Spyware. Update before each scan.  :)

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Cstaffa

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
Spybot SD is not running. I will uninstall it.

Cstaffa

xp Home splash screen freezes after installing avast! 6: ATI Radeon driver
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
I have reformatted and reinstalled Windows xp Home. I reinstalled drivers for my Radeon 8500 AIW AGP (primary) and Radeon 7000 PCI (secondary) display adapters. I was rebooting frequently to get the hardware working. Everything was going well until I reinstalled avast! 6. Then the boot flash screen (Windows xp logo with blue traveling bars) froze again. I rebooted in safemode and disabled the secondary display adapter, after which the normal mode boot proceeded smoothly. I toggled back and forth a couple times to test. From this I conclude: avast! 6 is incompatible with my second Radeon card. I have been running with the card disabled.