Author Topic: cab archive  (Read 10921 times)

plate

cab archive
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:29:15 AM »

When I run a scan there are 2 entries which read:

C:WINDOWS\Software Distribution\....\updspapi.dll   Unable to scan, cab archive is corrupted.

When I try to move this to the chest it says that an error has occurred and it doesn't move it.

any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: cab archive
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »
You should post the full path expanded (i.e. without the ellipsis ... in the middle) - but basically, corrupted archives are usually nothing you should worry about (regarding viruses).
In any case, there's no need to move them to Chest.

plate

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »

The way I typed the message in my above post is exactly as it appeared in the scan, the \....\ is how it looked in the scan and there was only the dots in between the two.

Why should I not worry about moving it to the chest if it is saying that it is corrupted?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
You can expand the column in the user interface to see the whole path.

You should not worry because "corrupted" doesn't mean "malicious".
Actually, the warning about corrupted archives only means that avast! was not able to unpack the archive and scan the content - either because it's really corrupted, or because the format of the archive is somehow new, unsupported by avast! (unlikely for CAB, I think, but possible).
Moving the file to Chest doesn't have much sense here - the Chest is for infected files. Actually, if you succeeded in moving the file to Chest (and the CAB wasn't really corrupted), you may turn the corresponding program non-functional.

plate

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

Hi Igor and thanks for the help.

The next time I run a scan I will take note of the full context of the text by expanding the interface, and re-post it to this forum.

I have one more question -

I have my updates configured to update manually, and, once connected to the internet one of the first things I do is  check for updates manually, (I prefer to do it this way).

However, everytime I turn the computer on, regardless of whether I am online or offline, zone alarm notifies me that "Avast Antivirus Service is trying to access the internet  -         ashserv.exe
Destination:      0.0.0.0. DNS

Is this normal?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:49:32 PM »
However, everytime I turn the computer on, regardless of whether I am online or offline, zone alarm notifies me that "Avast Antivirus Service is trying to access the internet  -         ashserv.exe
Destination:      0.0.0.0. DNS
Is this normal?
ashserv.exe is not trying to connect the Internet (0.0.0.0 is not an IP address).
This exe is the avast resident and it's not used to updates.
Are you in a home network?
Is the option 'permanent connected' into Update (Connections) tab of settings checked?
The best things in life are free.

rovert

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 04:23:25 PM »
I have been using Avast now for several months and each time I run a scan I get 48 items reported as "unable to scan". These are related to Adaware(Lavasoft) and Spybot and the reporting is covered elsewhere on this forum. However recently I have begun to get 2 additional "unable to scan" entries as follows:-

C:\RESTORE\ARCHIVE\BKUPVXDLASTLOG.258\A0117817.CPY

C:\RESTORE\ARCHIVE\BKUPVXDLASTLOG.265\A0120098.CPY

In each case the reason given is "CAB Archive is corrupted"

I am just wondering if these entries are anything to be concerned about or if they can be ignored?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:22:53 PM »
Quote from: Rovert
In each case the reason given is "CAB Archive is corrupted"

I am just wondering if these entries are anything to be concerned about or if they can be ignored?
They aren't worth worring about and I would ignore them, but id the cab is in fact corrupt then if you wanted to do a system restore involving those cabs it is likely to fail.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

You might want to change your avatar for another, resize or use this one. We try to keep avatars around 100 X 100 for those who don't have high resolution monitors.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rovert

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »
Thanks DavidR. Sorry about avatar hadn't realised it would come out so big! Have changed to one you supplied. Thanks again.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

Welcome to the forums, plate.    :)

Is your computer's OS up-to-date? You have not stated which one it is.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:13:11 PM »
Thanks DavidR. Sorry about avatar hadn't realised it would come out so big! Have changed to one you supplied. Thanks again.

No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plate

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 05:30:58 AM »

Hello Charley0

My operating system is a Dell Dimension 3000, I use Windows XP Service Pack 2

My windows updates are always "up to date"

I use a dial up connection through my telephone line.  Neither of the boxes in Update (connections) tab are checked - should I check one of these and if so would it fix the problem that ZA keeps asking about allowing ashserv.exe to connect to 0.0.0.0:DNS?

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 06:25:29 PM »

Yes, plate, one of these should be checked. If I am not mistaken, it should be like in the picture below for it to work correctly.

I hope this helps.    :)

plate

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 05:34:29 AM »

I checked the appropriate update connections and so far ZA has stopped asking me for ashserv.exe to connect.

The full path of the "unable to scan, cab archive is corrupted" is

C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\(there is 32 random numbers and letters here)\BIT1.tmp\update\updspapi.dll

Any advice?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 05:53:57 AM »
I checked the appropriate update connections and so far ZA has stopped asking me for ashserv.exe to connect
It shouldn't ask for ashserve.exe anyway... it should be avast.setup or other provider...

The full path of the "unable to scan, cab archive is corrupted" is
C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\(there is 32 random numbers and letters here)\BIT1.tmp\update\updspapi.dll
Don't worry, unable to scan or corrupted archive files are not dangerous by themselves. Sometimes, problems in the archive, sometimes, in avast! scanner. Anyway, I won't worry as they can't infect you system in this case.
The best things in life are free.