Author Topic: Strange internet disconnect problem  (Read 3662 times)

benneg

Strange internet disconnect problem
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:43:26 AM »
Hi,

I have just recently upgraded to Avast Internet security and I am having problems with an extremely slow (to the point that the browser times out) internet connection everytime I open Microsoft Office 2003. The connection appears to be still working as Skype will still connect but all internet functions either stop or are extremely slow.

To solve this problem I have to reboot the router as even a restart of this PC will not fix the situation.

My other computer still remains working; so I know it is not the network/router problem. This PC uses Windows 7 where as the other has Windows XP and only has standard free Avast on it. System works fine until I start Outlook; does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

Thanks

SafeSurf

Re: Strange internet disconnect problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
1.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV) - what was your previous Avast version that you upgraded from?
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

2.  Have you tried an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

3.  Have you done a scan with Avast to make sure you are clean of infection?

4.  If you have no other security software in the past and the Avast Repair did not work, you may need to uninstall and do a clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD (if not all ready done):
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all products
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast at this time and reboot in between.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know how things go.  Thank you.

benneg

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
Hi Safesurf,

Thanks for the advice; I had spent time trying to sort this problem including doing a fresh load and a roll back of Windows to get rid of a few other programs I had installed.

When I turned the e-mail scanner off it fixed the issue for a while before the problem reappearing again. I have not had any other security programs installed on this computer apart from the free version of Avast before the upgrade.

It seems to be something that my router did not like about this setup; but there is very little I can change in the configuration to fix this problem?

In the end a colleague recommended I try using Windows Live Mail and it has been running free of any problems for several days now. Have transferred all my e-mails and ditched Office as the program I use - seemed the easiest way out in the end.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:31:56 AM by benneg »

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
So is everything working fine now?  Avast is working normally?  Your machine is working and acting normally?  And you can get email OK?

benneg

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
So is everything working fine now?  Avast is working normally?  Your machine is working and acting normally?  And you can get email OK?

Yes, everything is working 100% fine so far. Problem only occurred when using Outlook 2003.

Was a clash somewhere between Outlook, Avast! Internet Security (as I did not have a problem before this program was loaded) and the ADSL router.

E-mails and internet have worked flawlessly since using Windows Live Mail.

Thanks for the assistance.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
You're welcome.  Glad everything is working better now.  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)