Author Topic: Avast and other security programs vanishing!  (Read 6752 times)

ClareG

Avast and other security programs vanishing!
« on: March 06, 2006, 01:36:28 PM »
Hi there, I apologize firstly for my long post but I thought it best to give details. 

I have been having problems the last couple of days.  I first started to notice that my computer was running very slowly and I was getting error messages (the ones that need to close the program and you can send error messages to Microsoft) for almost every program I opened so I tried to run a full system scan...that's when I noticed that Avast wasn't just NOT running but had totally disappeared from my system!  I know I didn't delete it accidentally and even after reinstalling it and rebooting my computer it had vanished again!  Sygate firewall has also vanished, as has Spybot Search and Destroy.  I tried to run an online antivirus scan and also access avast.com for support but i couldn't connect.  In the end I went into My Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all my security programs (intending to reinstall) and found a program I didn't recognize.  If I remember rightly it was called newdotnet.  I uninstalled this and rebooted, also uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling my security programs but all of them keep disappearing after rebooting.  (The folders and files are still there when I explore, just the application files disappear).  I've got no antivirus running at the moment and I'm using a different firewall but I am still getting error close down messages for every program I run (at present I've just dragged the one for Firefox to the side so I can post) and my computer is running slowly.  I'm attempting to run an online antivirus scan but it keeps crashing.  Is there anything I can do short of totally reformatting?

IMPORTANT:  During rebooting I get a message saying BOOT.INI file has changed.

System info:
Windows XP Pro Sp2
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz
512MB Ram
FAT32 File System
74.5GB HD (24.5GB free)

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Avast and other security programs vanishing!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:23:03 PM »
Hi ClareG,

If your system is badly infected, I'd recommend Trend Micro Sysclean. If necessary, download the files on another computer. Extract the Zip file and copy to a CD. Start your computer in safe mode, copy the files to your desktop and run from there.

If you are not a Trend Micro customer please download the following file.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/support/tsc.php

For the TSC package to be effective, you must download and use the latest pattern file. Place the pattern file in the same folder as the Trend Micro System Cleaner Package.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/support/pattern.php

Then run another boot time scan with avast!

I also suggest you try Ewido.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

and/or a-Squared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

After that, download, install, update and scan with the following programs, preferably in safe mode (tap F8 while booting.)

Ad-Aware http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/

Good luck!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »
I have been having problems the last couple of days.  I first started to notice that my computer was running very slowly and I was getting error messages (the ones that need to close the program and you can send error messages to Microsoft) for almost every program I opened so I tried to run a full system scan...that's when I noticed that Avast wasn't just NOT running but had totally disappeared from my system!  I know I didn't delete it accidentally and even after reinstalling it and rebooting my computer it had vanished again!  Sygate firewall has also vanished, as has Spybot Search and Destroy.  I tried to run an online antivirus scan and also access avast.com for support but i couldn't connect.
Follow Frank's advices... it's badly infected indeed.

In the end I went into My Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all my security programs (intending to reinstall) and found a program I didn't recognize.  If I remember rightly it was called newdotnet.
This is an adware but does not make that mess you're experiencing... You have worse things in your computer...

I uninstalled this and rebooted, also uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling my security programs but all of them keep disappearing after rebooting.  (The folders and files are still there when I explore, just the application files disappear).
As you can see, the problems are not NewNet related...
The best things in life are free.

ClareG

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:49:39 PM »
Many thanks to both of you.  I have managed to download and run Ewido and also run TrendMicro's online scanner and found a LOT of nasties (Ewido really is fantastic, thank you)!  The offending files appear to be removed now and I have been able to reinstall Avast AV with no problems this time.  I'm running Ewido again and will run Avast overnight to make sure my system is totally clean.

Thank you again for your help. :)

If anyone is interested for future reference the files that TrendMicro found were:

TROJ_BAGLE.DM
JAVA_BYTEVER.R
JAVA_BYTEVER.AC
JAVA_BYTEVER.AB
JAVA_BYTEVER.A
JAVA_BYTEVER.AQ
JAVA_BYTEVER.S
PAR_SE.8268
TROJ_SE.69649
ADW_SE.55953

And Ewido found:

Downloader.Bagle.ae
Worm.Bagle.fu
Backdoor.Delf.eg
Adware.NewDotNet
Adware.SaveNow

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »

Welcome to the forums, ClareG.    :)

Along with me, I am sure the others are glad you have been successful at removing the nasties from your computer. Thank you for coming back and posting what was found. This could be valuable information for others with similar problems.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:00:54 PM »
I'm running Ewido again and will run Avast overnight to make sure my system is totally clean.
I'd suggest a boot time scanning with avast:

Click on the Menu button.
Choose Schedule Boot Time Scan.
Doing so displays a dialog allowing you to schedule virus scanning.
Check Archives, if you want scan all the archives.
Specify whether all the disks or just a specific folder should be scanned.
Select Advanced options for scheduling details.
Select how to automatically process infected files.
Choose how to automatically process infected system files.
Click the Schedule button to confirm the settings.

Oh, remember to manually update ewido  ;)

Spiritsongs

Newdotnet
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
 :)  Hi ClareG :

"Newdotnet" is a serious piece of spyware & I do not know
      if it can be as easily removed by what was suggested to
      you !? To confirm it ( and perhaps some "companions") are
      really gone, I recommend you have antiSPYWARE Experts
      check your computer; if you know of none, I recommend
      www.landzdown.com .

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:47:59 PM »
"Newdotnet" is a serious piece of spyware & I do not know
if it can be as easily removed by what was suggested to
you !? To confirm it...

...try a Google search.

The programs recommended (ie Ad-Aware and Spybot) should have no problem with it.

Both of these programs can generally be removed through the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. SaveNow will show either as SaveNow or WhenUShop generally, while NewdotNet will be there as simply New.Net.

If the programs are not listed in the Add/Remove Control Panel, I recommend downloading an automatic spyware removal tool such as  Adware, Spybot, or another automatic detection and removal tool.

http://www.pchell.com/support/savenow.shtml
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Newdotnet
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:27:23 AM »
"Newdotnet" is a serious piece of spyware
Spiritsong, I won't call serious if you're referring to removal possibility and dangerousness.
Newdotnet can be easily removed through Control Panel, no trash left behind (name New.net)  8)
The simpthoms described here let me thing that there are A LOT OF OTHER infections besides Newdotnet...

Spiritsongs

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
 :)  Hi all :

Did a little research & it appears new.net is NOT as serious
     as it has been in the past. However, I found this :
     "NewDotNet can generally be removed via the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.

Mr Leonard Amabile has a canned reply to posts regarding NewDotNet:

"New.net has an uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs labeled New.net Domains. I recommend that you use the New.net provided uninstaller prior to using any other method. If you do not find an entry in Add/Remove Programs, please follow the other procedures listed at  http://www. newdotnet.com. Once you have ran one instance of our uninstaller and reboot, our software should be fully removed.

Leonard Amabile"