Author Topic: Avast & Zone Alarm  (Read 7479 times)

bobginger

Avast & Zone Alarm
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:42 AM »
Hi,
 I know this question partially answered in my previous post, but I would like to get more detailed info on using Zone Alarm free with Avast free. My ZA version is 9.2.102.000.
Thanks Bob

swarnava

Re: Avast & Zone Alarm
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:53 AM »
what do you want to know about?

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
I quit using ZA free years ago. It got bloated up and was a pain to network. I use the Comodo firewall only. ZA free or paid doesn't do well in Matousec tests.
Joe

Tenko

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey bobginger!

Zonealarm is okey but I think comodo is very very good and quite simple. I have had my experience with ZA and it's okey. If you want every simple firewall with better protection than windows firewall. By the way don't forget to activate windows firewall after finishing the installation from ZA; ZA doesn't activate at booting and during the time it activate itself you will be vulnerable (this a tip that I got from other user when I used ZA).

I am happy to hear that comodo is your firewall Joe S :)

Regards,
              Tenko

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:14:33 PM »
By the way don't forget to activate windows firewall after finishing the installation from ZA; ZA doesn't activate at booting and during the time it activate itself you will be vulnerable (this a tip that I got from other user when I used ZA).
Nope not smart to run more then one....

from microsoft  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Firewall-frequently-asked-questions
However, running more than one firewall program on your computer at the same time could cause conflicts. It's best to just use one firewall program, in addition to a router-based firewall.

and you find lots more if you google it...

Tenko

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
I have had ZA and windows firewall active at the same time no conflicts has ever happened.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »
I have had ZA and windows firewall active at the same time no conflicts has ever happened.
Lucky you  ;) ....

bobginger

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »
what do you want to know about?
Do ZA and Avast conflict with each other?

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 01:42:30 AM »
We have seen multiple problems on the forum.  Again the people who swear by ZA will tell you it is the greatest FW they ever used, but I look at them in general...and have tested many of them.  You can do a search on the forum to give yourself more feedback if you like.  But what every FW you decide on, trial it for 30 days first to see if you like it and how well it plays with your other software on your machine.

Tenko

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Follow my advice... download OA(olinearmor) or comodo.

swarnava

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
if you using avast suite, you doesnot need any firewall cause avast inbuilt have silent firewall..

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
Follow my advice... download OA(olinearmor) or comodo.

Many people have their favorite software firewall just like a good wine. 

I choose not to have a software firewall as I have adequate protection that my ISP supplied DSL modem has with Malwarbytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and WinPatrol PLUS but if I did choose to have a software firewall I would choose Online Armor (OA)   

Tenko

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
i am quite sure he thought of the free version of Avast. And yes, if you have AIS then you don't need anything  else :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »

Sometimes. ;)
My opinion: Don't use ZA, there are much better options with no conflicts.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0