Author Topic: Avast Free Download Button linked to cnet's version  (Read 13761 times)

DADSGETNDOWN

Avast Free Download Button linked to cnet's version
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
Hello, I am just wondering, especially after learning about Cnet's  use of wrappers, and the fact that AVAST! has a closed tech forum on the subject, Why here at AVAST does the down load button of the free version link to the not only Cnet, (which I like and use), but Cnet's wrapped version ?
Button on the page,
http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

Takes you to,
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

And if like me, delete cookies constantly, tell it to not stay logged in, and log out properly and or you're not logged in you get the file setup_av_free_cnet.exe, and ofcourse they don't tell you anywhere about this wrapper or toolbar etc, (except during install if you look you uncheck what ever it is what ever they have offered / wrapped.  or how to or why to log in to get the other version, before during or after.

Is this a way for AVAST to accumulate downloads at cnet ? And I believe I read at CNET the publishers can ask/tell "opt-out" CNET not to wrap the program.
I have a thread there, you can find it...the answer to one question was/is.
"Is Cnet using a wrapper ? - Yes, but not on all software. The Download.com team decides which software to offer via the installer and software developers themselves can 'opt-out' of Download.com using the installer for their files."

Although I have used CNET AND AVAST, for some years now, 8 or 10, and not harmful supposedly, and some may find it useful/promotional, I find this annoying, and  trickery.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Free Download Button linked to cnet's version
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
The very sad relationship between CNET and freeware.
Annoying, trickery, not clear for the user, distributing ads and malware.
The only thing I can read in internet is that advanced users are going out of CNET very quickly.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
That is why I download avast on filehippo instead of cnet. I just the articles posted on cnet but I do not download any software from there.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
That is why I download avast on filehippo instead of cnet. I just the articles posted on cnet but I do not download any software from there.
+1 cnet.com has their own downloader which to me is too intrusive.
I now use filehippo.com or softpedia.com  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

DADSGETNDOWN

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 05:29:12 AM »
I don't know how far they go as far as, malware, but it is safe adware, offering you a toolbar or maybe The Cnet software Tracker program and things like this, which you can usually uncheck or opt-out of, I have been using Cnet and download.com for years, as a member, never seen or heard of a problem before this, and it's kind of like I have been betrayed. Kept out of the loop.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
avast! just has "cnet" appended to name, but is not wrapped into anything else.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

DADSGETNDOWN

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
avast! just has "cnet" appended to name, but is not wrapped into anything else.

I am guessing a little, but since I asked at CNET first and a Moderator replied, with the information above, I believe, you can get setup_av_free_cnet.exe which is wrapped with whatever, when you are not logged in, and if you are logged in you can get setup_av_free.exe, not wrapped. ,Maybe either way you get setup_av_free_cnet.exe and "if" Cnet decides to put in a wrapper, that is what you get.
Which leads to one of my questions above, Is this a way for Avast to accumulate and or track or keep track of downloads at Cnet ? I believe both files are the exact same file size from here and Cnet, if that makes a difference.

The Page is.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12543_102-550630/download-com-wraps-in-their-own-installer-ads-spyware/?tag=tracked-disc;track-550630

or, Here http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12543_102-550630/download-com-wraps-in-their-own-installer-ads-spyware/?tag=tracked-disc;track-550630

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 06:00:04 AM »
If you get the wrapper, it will be something like "cbs interactive installer" if I remember correctly.  Its not stealth or anything, its got its own little UI that would clearly not be Avast! (or any other product it might be bundled with) related.  The C-net Avast! setup is a stub installer, whereas the normal Avast! setup is bigger.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 07:31:29 AM »
I'm not saying avast! isn't smart in this reply but it makes avast look a little stupid linking to cnet.. I think they should link to http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »
I'm not saying avast! isn't smart in this reply but it makes avast look a little stupid linking to cnet.. I think they should link to http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
That would cover the Free....Pro/AIS, not so much.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
I'm not logged into cnet (and never will be) and i always get the normal non-wrapped installer.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
I might complain to cnet on their facebook page..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »

About what..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »

About what..??
That i don't like their so called safe installer...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »

About what..??
That i don't like their so called safe installer...

I see. Guess you're not alone.
Anyway, as Rajzor said avast! isn't affected. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0