Author Topic: avast causing internet connection issues.  (Read 13300 times)

Jack 1000

Re: avast causing Internet connection issues.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
I wonder if Zone Alarm is the culprit here.  I have always removed previous AV software from Add/Remove programs and it has worked fine.  I have heard conflicting reports on using the additional uninstallers:  Some techs say only use them if you have having problems using conventional Add/Remove Program processes and others have said use the uninstallers regardless.

What about using your built in Windows Firewall and uninstalling Zone Alarm?  Have you also tried using Avast's Repair Diagnostic tool?  This is in Control Panel and when you click on Add/Remove Programs, scroll down to REPAIR.  This will attempt to repair and replace damaged files in Avast.  It has worked well for me.

If Zone Alarm is not the issue, have you also tried disconnecting your modem/router for several minutes?  You may also want to try flushing the DNS cache before plugging your router or modem back in.  Don't know how to do it on Vista, but for XP, close up any browser and other Windows you have open.  Next do this:

Start - Run
- cmd - OK
ipconfig /flushdns

Try it; it won't hurt.

You might also want to the Run box type "temp" (no quotes) and delete all files in the temp folder. (Edit/Select All/Delete.)

Also Go to My Computer, Right Click on your Hard Drive (usually C), select Properties, and run Disk Cleanup.  Say yes to the prompt

Now empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot your computer

After all the icons are on the screen, give it a minute or so.  Now plug your modem/router back in and allow it 2 minutes to reactivate.

Can you browse with stuff like IE and Firefox now?  During this time, (if you have accepted the default of Avast updating the definitions database automatically, about a minute after rebooting, you should get a Virus Database Has Been Updated message.)

My guess is this is a Zone Alarm conflict, or your modem or router had a brain fart and needs to be unplugged for a few minutes to get the bad data out. (reset.)

I hope the clean up stuff helps!

Jack
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:09:36 PM by Jack 1000 »

Sleepwalker

Re: avast causing internet connection issues.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
I didn't use any kind of removal tool, just selected uninstall from the programs and features in the control panel.
I have zone alarm firewall.
Not running any other Virus protection software.
Zone Alarm and Avast don't get along very good with out some tlc on your part ,check your privacy setting in Zone Alarm that's whats probably blocking your access Also give Avast top level in trust and access to internet with Zone Alarm .If privacy controls for your browsers are set too high ,some web sites will not load.