Author Topic: Avast wont update!!  (Read 16347 times)

karrie

Avast wont update!!
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
I installed Avast 4.8 in October and have had no problems, up until now....

Last night, instead of seeing the blue square in the bottom right hand corner notifying me that the database had been updated, I got a red notification saying that Avast couldn't update.

I have tried to update manually quite a few times today, but the download stops in the same place ie. 49152 bytes. Has anyone got any idea how I can fix this? Please go easy on me as I am a non techie female.

K

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast wont update!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
What is your connection method dial-up/broadband ?

I'm on dial-up and occasionally this happens to me if I disconnect or lose the connection before it is complete. I normally just reconnect and do a manual update , but you are having problems with that also, so I would start thinking firewall.

What is your firewall ?
What other security software do you have installed ?

What was your previous AV and how did you get rid of it ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

karrie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:54 PM »
Hi there,

I tried what you suggested but it won't let me repair. I get the following error 'Error processing packages. Please use full updates'.

I can list all my software but I don't think that would help as everything has run in harmony until yesterday. I havn't changed anything to cause this. I previously had Mcafee but this was uninstalled completely 3mths ago, using the tool from their site.

Like you, I'm on dial up but the error message arose while I was connected. Any other ideas? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:29:47 PM »
If it is requesting you use the full updates, strange haven't ever heard of this one. I can only think the installation is corrupt or not a recent version, 4.8.1296 is the latest version.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

If running this removal tool doesn't help it may be best to do a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
Also, just double check your system date/time are accurate.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

karrie

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »
Hello,

Thought I'd provide an update on where I am.

I decided to start again before I saw the reply suggesting I did so. Therefore I just used the uninstall option on my pc, rather than the Unistall Utility mentioned. Hopefully, this won't cause a problem. I already had the latest version of Avast and had also used the Mcafee tool for removal previously, so that shouldn't have been the cause of my problem.

Having spent time on Christmas Eve downloading and reinstalling, I found that although the version was correct, the database was 15/12/08 ie older the one I had just removed!! I clicked on update and it fell over again at 49152 bytes ???

By this point I was really fed up and closed everything down. However, before going to bed, I couldn't resist trying again. Hey Presto, it updated to 23/12/08 and has further automatically updated today :)

I don't know what was wrong and am not sure whether the problem would've resolved without the need to uninstall/reinstall but I dont care! It's working again and I'm happy.

Could someone please tell me whether I can use my existing key to register or do I have to apply for a new one? At the moment it's given me the 60 trial.

Many thanks,

Karrie

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:12:38 PM by karrie »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
Could someone please tell me whether I can use my existing key to register or do I have to apply for a new one? At the moment it's given me the 60 trial.
You can use your registration key. It's valid for 14 months. If it is old, you can register again and receive a new key.
The best things in life are free.

Sphene60

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 12:02:09 AM »
Apologies for butting in, but I had exactly the same problem.
Running version 4.8.1296 on a Thinkpad laptop, with XPpro, connecting via a 3G usb dongle, and updates have been fine for the last two months since original installation.
Then a few days ago it froze during the database update at 49152 the same as karrie. No matter how many times it reconnected to the server it failed at the same point.
I let it ride for a day two thinking the next update would cure it. but all subsequent attempts also stalled at 49152.
Also tried using the repair function, but that returned the corrupted file message as others found, and the only restore things to normal was a via a completely fresh installation. According to the Avast control panel, before the uninstall the last functioning version of the database was 081222.

Incidentally the installation on the home computer (which connects via dialup) has been updating as normal.

Still, its all working at the moment  :)

The Mariner

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 12:32:56 AM »
Apologies for butting in, but I had exactly the same problem.

Me too  :(

I am also using version 4.8.1296 via a 3G usb dongle, but with XP Home. Likewise, updates have been fine for months, but around 1 month ago the auto update failed at 49152 bytes.

I re-installed Avast! & it seemed to be fixed, but a few days ago the auto update failed again at 49152 bytes.

Both times, I ensured my firewall was turned off but the update always failed at 49152 bytes.

It sounds like a common theme here is the use of a 3G USB modem ! Out of interest I installed Avast! on my partners PC some time ago (she uses ADSL broadband) & she has no update problems at all. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
I don't believe avast knows or cares what modem you use (other than the Program Settings, Connections (Basic) settings) that is handled by the OS.

Since you have been using it previously for months with avast and no problems.

Neither Sphene60 or The Mariner answered previous questions asked about:
What is your firewall ?

Add to that:
Does it allow avast.setup internet access (I know you disabled your firewall but stranger thing happen) ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

What happens when you do a manual update (what errors, etc.) ?

The Mariner

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:33:05 AM »
Hi,

I agree with you... the OS handles the connection but I have tried pretty much everything else & I was looking for anything that users experiencing problems may have in common.

What is your firewall ?
PC Tools Firewall Plus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & SuperAntiSpyware Free... both run on demand only with no resident components.

Add to that:
Does it allow avast.setup internet access (I know you disabled your firewall but stranger thing happen) ?
Yes, avast.setup is granted full access.
If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
I deleted any reference to any Avast! program, then did a manual update. Any permissions requested were granted, but still the update fails.
What happens when you do a manual update (what errors, etc.) ?
It starts to download a .vpu file, gets to 49152 bytes then the connection closes & the update routine makes another attempt.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:53:00 AM by The Mariner »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »
OK, SAS and MBAM shouldn't have any impact on the update I use both of them and I have the resident version of SAS Pro, without problem.

Check your firewall logs when you initiate a manual update and see if there is any activity, allowed/blocked or otherwise, relating to the failed downloads.

Since it is able to at least connect to the download servers the firewall isn't blocking avast.setup, so at least that has been eliminated as a possible cause.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. If that doesn't have any effect try the clean reinstall outlined in Reply #3 above.

The Mariner

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Done it. No change.
If that doesn't have any effect try the clean reinstall outlined in Reply #3 above.
Done that too. No change.

Thanks for all your help David but nothing seems to be improving  :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
The Mariner
What AV did you have installed on this computer before Avast was installed?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest as that process would have ensured you had a clean installation.

Was there anything in the firewall logs when you tried a manual update ?

After the clean reinstall, are you getting any errors displayed to the screen, etc. (or is it the same error/s you previously posted) when trying a manual update (Red pop-up window at the bottom right, etc.) ?

Is there any way you can connect this laptop to a network with an internet connection and try a manual update using another connection method ?

Other than the above I'm empty.