Author Topic: Unable to scan  (Read 7639 times)

Boomcat21

Unable to scan
« on: June 24, 2005, 09:35:16 PM »
I just had some odd results pop up after a routine virus scan with Avast 4.6 Home edition.  I have Spybot and Adaware, so the usual list of files that couldn't be scanned due to those two programs came up, but some new stuff came up too that I'm concerned about.  Several files came up with the description of "Unable to scan: Can't find path specified", and "Unable to scan: UPX archive is corrupted"

What does this mean and what do I do?  Any help appreciated, this is a new one for me.

Val

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Unable to scan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 11:49:51 PM »
The "UPX archive corrupted" just means that the file appears to be compressed by UPX executable packer, but avast! was unable to unpack it (probably because of additional compression level or some modifications). You can safely ignore the message.

As for the "Can't find path specificed" - can you post a few examples of the relevant file names/paths?

Boomcat21

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 12:35:35 AM »
Hi igor, thanks for the reply. *s

As for the UPX compression, I didn't consciously do that, unless that's part of what Win XP does with the "Disk Cleanup" Util. that compresses files...I don't know otherwise how these files could have been compressed into a UPX file and that worries me.

As for the other, "Can't find path specified", here are the two files listed:

My documents\PSP Extras\Plugins\Harrysfilter2.exe\[ASPack]
(this is a plug in for the program Paint Shop Pro 7)

Program files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe[ASPack]
(For the Ad Aware, spyware removal program)

Does the "[ASPack]" have anything to do with it?  Is it another form of compression, and if so, do you know how these files could have been compressed without my doing so (other than the "Disk Cleanup" util.)

Thanks for any help!

Val

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 01:45:40 AM »
The files were not compressed "without your knowledge" - they were created and distributed this way by the original author.
Anyway, the error message is strange, I'd like to see the files, if possible. I send you a private message.

Boomcat21

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 05:21:11 AM »
igor, will try to get that file sent to you.

The trouble is, I do a weekly scan, and I've had these files for months now, and have never had this pop up before, so I'm just wondering why now.

I'm off to find that file, just send it as an attachment?

Val

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:10:11 PM »
Yes, just send me the file by e-mail as attachment, please.
You may also try to scan just the corresponding folder to see if another similar record appears in log afterwards. If not, something strange is going on there...

Boomcat21

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »
Ok, must be something weird going on, cuz I just went thru and scanned all the individual folders where the files popped up as "Unable to scan", and nothing popped up, they scanned just fine, no trouble.

Weird.
On the plus side, I guess that means there's nothing to worry about in those files.

Val
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 05:04:32 PM by Boomcat21 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:42:21 PM »
I don't see anything suspicious about the files either...
It's really hard to say what may have happened... but I also think it wasn't anything serious.

Boomcat21

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 05:08:47 PM »
Maybe just a glitch, then. *s

Thanks for the help, next time that happens I'll go scan the individual files to see if there's any trouble there.

Cheers!

Val

poonet

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »
Here´s a results from Avast!
There´s many  unchecked files from Lavasoft and first one is from WinZip.exe

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 02:11:16 PM »
The files are password-protected (at least the Lavasoft ones for sure), so they cannot be scanned.

poonet

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 03:18:10 PM »
The files are password-protected (at least the Lavasoft ones for sure), so they cannot be scanned.

Okay. I just wanted to show the results and I didn´t done anything with those files.