Author Topic: Since using outlook 2010 Avast Firewall won't download pop emails  (Read 5748 times)

MakeTeaNotWar

Since using Outlook 2010 Avast Firewall won't download pop emails from my ISP, Outlook connector is still fine, I can see the ports getting blocked in Avasts firewall log but seemingly can't do anything short of disabling it to get this traffic past.

I've tried manually adding C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\outlook.exe to the firewall application rules but after you go to a different screen within Avast and go back to firewall applications its gone, it doesnt save it. (bug?) I can't see any other mention of Outlook under Microsoft in application rules.

I've also tried manually setting the IP addresses to my ISPs smtp and pop3 as friend networks but this hasnt worked

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Since using outlook 2010 Avast Firewall won't download pop emails
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
Hi: If you could please provide more information ie. Operating System, What version of Avast are you presently using?(Is your AIS a beta version?) This will help in providing useful direction in helping to resolve your problem
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:27:45 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
Go to firewall setting then expert settings. What setting are you using for your default rules? Is it set to auto-decide? If it is set to block the firewall will block everything that is not allowed in the Application rules. Maybe you unintentionally did not select Microsoft group to save your rule in. I would look in all groups for the rule. It has got to be there somewhere. When you find it, delete it then then make sure your default rules (in expert settings) are set to auto-decide. Start Outlook, send and receive mail so that Avast will automatically create new rules.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:47:32 PM by Charyb »

waynex99

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
I had the same issue.  After reading this post, and verifying each and every line in the microsoft, there were 2 'hidden' lines and both were set to block.  Its tricky to find the lines, but after opening the ports, if you page down, the line shows.  Some items do not have a block / allow option, which adds to the hunt...

But it works now - thanks!

MakeTeaNotWar

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
Windows 7, 64 Bit, using Office 2010 64 bit (my Avast Plugins don't work with Outlook 2010 either!)

My version of avast is Internet Security Suite 5.0.677, no beta. My firewall settings have always been to let Avast Auto Decision.

I thought I fixed this yesterday though but it's broken again, I deleted every entry under Microsoft then deleted the Microsoft group in application rules, then I set the firewall to ask me for every decision, it worked for about a day but now the pop3 won't work but smtp will and I get the message

Task 'xxxxx@xxxx.plus.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR Cannot connect to POP server 212.159.9.81 (212.159.9.81:110), connect error 10061'

When it tries to check pop3... (its not my ISP its the firewall)

Really I think this is something that should work with no fuss so I hope Avast Developers will pick up on this :(

there were 2 'hidden' lines and both were set to block.
Can you post a screenshot? I've checked every line and can't see anything thats blocked only a few things that don't have full unrestricted access, I'll try changing them now but I assume theres a reason why Avast auto decided not to give them full access.

Edit:
Just tried changing all my other Microsoft rules to allow everything still doesnt work, then deleted Outlook, set avast to Ask me, relaunched outlook gave it full access and it still wasn't allowing pop3 somethings not right here  >:(

I've attached a screenshot of my rules
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:51:41 PM by MakeTeaNotWar »

MakeTeaNotWar

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:13:02 PM »
bump?  :o