Author Topic: Removing virus from virus chest  (Read 7433 times)

fourth1

Removing virus from virus chest
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
Could someone pls tell me if I should and what would happen if I did delete a virus from the virus chest.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Removing virus from virus chest
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
First what is it that you want to remove and why ?

Second, there is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jenanime

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »
Thank you DavidR!  I had a similar question.  I'll just leave my two ad-ware viruses in the chest for awhile.  The worst part is that they were found in games pre-installed on my computer! 

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
If they where pre installed by the manufacturer or your computer, then it's quiet possible the detections are a false positve.

You did the right thing by moving to the chest and investigating. Have you tried the games since?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
The worst part is that they were found in games pre-installed on my computer! 
Maybe they're just false positives like oldman said.
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.
Other possibility is JOTTI. VirusTotal and Jotti both have file size limits 10 and 15MB each.

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
After that, please, periodically check it - scan it into Chest, right clicking the file -  there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected as being infected then you can also remove it from the Exclusion list.

This link is a tutorial on how to help correct a virus detection that you believe to be false:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.msg204838#msg204838
or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7779.msg62586#msg62586
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
Thank you DavidR!  I had a similar question.  I'll just leave my two ad-ware viruses in the chest for awhile.  The worst part is that they were found in games pre-installed on my computer! 

Your welcome, the other topic you found using the forum search function expands on ad supported software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ght1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
Avast found 2 viruses on my computer so i moved them to virus chest. Now i want to check these files on virustotal, but i can't find the files on my computer. Is there no directory for virus chest? Where are the files?  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »
You don't use explorer to go to the chest as it is a protected area. Right click the avast 'a' icon, select avast! Virus Chest, click on the Infected Files and select 'Export,' not restore as that puts it back to the original location (not good). Select a temporary folder to export to, avast may well alert again as the file is 'created' in the new location.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.