Author Topic: unable to scan  (Read 2736 times)

jaymac

unable to scan
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
For some reason when I try to do a scan  avast seems to stall it shows as running but nothing is happening this morning over 3 hours for a scan which stuck on C:\ Recylcler.  Aborted that and tryed again  this time stuck on system volume .Also when I click pause or stop it just carries on running

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: unable to scan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »
The c:\recycler is the recycle bin. If you have a lot of items in it, I'd suggest emptying first or exclude it from the scan. It may have been stuck on  large compressed archive you have deleted.

If you hover the mouse over the file being scanned, does it  change? Is there any harddrive activity? ie light, noise

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
C:\ Recylcler
Is it a typo for C:\Recycler ?
Do you use Norton products? Specially, Norton System Works?

How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

jaymac

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:54 PM »
Thanks guys  I understood recycler was the folder of files deleted not the actual bin which is empty also it has happened with system volume. As to freezing it is only avast that seems to be stopped although it shows itself running and is running in task manager albeit using about 2% cpu .Nothing else on the pc is affected whats most annoying is not being able to turn the damn thing off (Avast that is) I'll try the report thing and see what happens thanks again No dont have any Norton on my pc
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:47:32 PM by jaymac »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »
I'm sorry, I took a shot at what the spelling should be. Follow Tech's advise.