Author Topic: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall  (Read 130969 times)

SamHui

Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Hi, is anyone experiencing this bug with Comodo Firewall and Avast 7? With Avast7, Comodo firewall does not block your internet traffic unless you choose to block all traffic.  For example, if I told Comodo to block Firefox the logs would indicate that the Firefox attempt to access the internet was blocked, however I could freely surf the internet and visit many different websites even when Comodo firewall states that the actions had been blocked.  If I were to disable the webshield then Firefox would not be able to access the internet as intended, but with Webshield on, regardless of what I tell Comodo firewall to do, it does not block the outgoing and incoming traffic.  This also happens to other programs like Avast itself, IE, or any programs that requires internet access.  Comodo would state that it was blocked, but the program actually still did have access to the internet.  This happened only with Avast7, it was fine with Avast6.  Thanks.

SamHui

Re: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Just 1 quick item to add, in the Comodo logs, the blocked events would have all zeros in the source ip, but it usually has your ip as the source ip. 

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »
Try to delete all Avast!-related rules in Comodo, then let it ask for access again.

SamHui

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Hi, I did that and even re-installed Comodo.  Seems like the firewall in Comodo is not working properly when Avast7 webshield is on.  If it's off, the selective blocking works.  At least right now, it's either block all or nothing for the Comodo firewall when the Avast7 webshield is on.  Thanks.

Hellion

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
Hi,

I would like to confirm that I'm seeing the exact same behaviour.

Comodo FW has essentially been made irrelevant.

I do believe this is a Comodo issue and not Avast.

EDIT: I started a topic in F/W help in the Comodo Forum - https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-does-not-work-with-avast-7-t82323.0.html

My System Specs are: Win7 home premium | core I3 | 4GB memory
Avast Free | Comodo F/W only
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:23:44 AM by Hellion »

Offline RSD

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
I don't have that problem in Windows XP with Comodo.
I don't use Comodo's Defense+ and Sandbox.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
I can't check that as I don't use Comodo. But I have used it in the past and there was no such problem. May be you guys try to restrict the web shield scope to browsers only and not the whole system (in settings), and see if that changes anything...

... not sure, sounds rather like the web shield in V7 might be denying access to any other monitoring app
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:37:21 PM by logos »

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
@ SamHui and Hellion

My Comodo firewall working OK here. Did you check if you still have your exclusions for each other progs in place after the upgrade ?

Hellion

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
Hi Iroc,

My Comodo firewall working OK here. Did you check if you still have your exclusions for each other progs in place after the upgrade ?

The only exclusions I have are in Avast. Excluded are cmdagent memory process and the Comodo install folder.

Have you tested properly?

Clear your Comodo rules and block your browser and see if you can access webpages.

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
The only exclusions I have are in Avast. Excluded are cmdagent memory process and the Comodo install folder.

Open Avast > Real Time Shields > File System > Expert Settings > Exclusions. Add:

C:\Program Files\COMODO\*
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Comodo\*

Also in:

Real Time Shields > Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted processes. Add:

C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfpconfg.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

Now in Comodo:

Open Comodo > Defence + > Defence+ Settings > Execution Control Settings > Exclutions Add > Browse > Add all you can find of Avast!

Have you tested properly?

Clear your Comodo rules and block your browser and see if you can access webpages.

Cleared all my Avast! rules in Comodo Firewall and D+. Rebooted. Comodo recreated rules for Avast ( Default ). Blocked FF and tried to browse with it. FF unable to connect, again. See my screenshots.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:03:28 PM by iroc9555 »

iroc9555

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
Double post deleted  ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:01:50 PM by iroc9555 »

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Triple post deleted  :o  ???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:02:44 PM by iroc9555 »

c64

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »

Open Avast > Real Time Shields > File System > Expert Settings > Exclusions. Add:

C:\Program Files\COMODO\*
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Comodo\*

Also in:

Real Time Shields > Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted processes. Add:

C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfpconfg.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

Added and I think it worked for me  ;)

Sorry, I have problems again  :'(

I use the old Comodo 2.4 in Win2k and I don't have cfpconfg.exe: added the others.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:22:57 PM by c64 »

iroc9555

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
c64

Sorry to hear it did not work. You can follow a similar discussion in Comodo forums:

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-does-not-work-with-avast-7-t82323.0.html;msg587784#msg587784

Someone may come with a correct answer.

Regards.

AveSulla

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
I have the same problem, with webshield enabled the comodo firewall don't work. When the webshield stopped, it works properly.
Win 7 64 bit