Author Topic: Im confused.  (Read 4658 times)

ieattacis

Im confused.
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »
I downloaded avast free antivirus.  But i thought it was free it said i have 30 days of protection.  Why isnt avast free free?  ??? :P

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Im confused.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
It is FREE but you need to register  ;)  and after one year you repeat it, and.........

On-line registration is very simple and it's the preferred method for all users of avast Free Antivirus 5.0 installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration follow these steps:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

ieattacis

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »
Wow thanks  :)  Im just in a rush.  So thanks for the help.

Wait i have another question.  In the avast settings it said enable raw disk access during boot time scan.  How do i do a boot time scan and what does raw disk access mean? 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:29:49 PM by ieattacis »

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
If you open Avast!, Boot-time scan should be in the "Scan Computer" section.

I would think "Raw Disc" would mean it scans the HDD from front-to-back, without paying any mind to the type of file system used on that HDD (NTFS, Fat32, etc...)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
Wow thanks  :)  Im just in a rush.  So thanks for the help.

Wait i have another question.  In the avast settings it said enable raw disk access during boot time scan.  How do i do a boot time scan and what does raw disk access mean? 
Hi ieattacis, raw disc access should be ticked by default so that avast can scan before anything else starts. To set up boot scan click the scan computer tab then click boot time scan and clik add button, use the drop down button to pick all harddisc's then add then pick system drive and add then all you have to do is click schedule now and when you reboot next it will do a boot time scan. Best to leave all huristics set to normal and this scan will take a long time so not advised to do every reboot, only needed if you think that you might have an infection that normal scanning isn't removing like root kit's.