Author Topic: Cannot install or uninstall Avast Home  (Read 2802 times)

flowergardener

Cannot install or uninstall Avast Home
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
My PC had an RPC unavailable error and a virus. I installed Avast Home 4.8 and used Demo registration. It complained about the date and time and said the trial was over. I inserted my legal license and ran into problems. It didn't like the key and said it was temporarily disabled.

1. Discovered that the system clock was way off. When I tried to update the clock, it said that the RPC was not running and couldn't set the time. I started uninstalling a bunch of Windows updates and at some point the RPC was fixed and I could set the date and time.

2. System restore did not work. IE would not open.

3. When shutdown, the system started running Windows updates. Now everything seemed to be working, even Avast updated properly.

However, I want to put the trial back on this PC and give it back to my client. When I run the installation program it says that setup does not contain all the required components and quits. It tells me to uninstall Avast.  However, Avast does not show in the Add/Remove Program menu so I cannot remove it.

Editing the Registry, I tried to delete the Avast keys. They are locked and won't even let me change the permissions so I can delete them.

How do I uninstall or fix Avast?

YoKenny

Re: Cannot install or uninstall Avast Home
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
What is your operating system and service pack level? 
Are you running as a Limited User or Administrator?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot install or uninstall Avast Home
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.