Author Topic: How to Update the main prgrm?  (Read 2681 times)

siggej

How to Update the main prgrm?
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:28:16 AM »
Hello all you Avast Gurus out there in Cyberspace.

I have installed Avast-Home version 4.8.1201.
Then I want to upgrade to latest version 4.8.1229.
When trying to do that I get the information that the downloaded file is “not complete”. How can it be “not complete” when it is downloaded direct from the Avast site!?!?
I have a very slow phone modem -- no broad band, so I have to download the prgrm on another pc -- then move it to my pc with an USB memory stick.

So HOW do I upgrade the Avast base prgrm "manually"?
Shall I uninstall version 4.8.1201 and then install version 4.8.1229? If so, that seems very unlogical to me…. Because it is then a completely new installation – NOT an upgrade!!

I am only a user (driver of the machine) – I understand absolutely nothing from what’s (under the hood and) makes a pc tic. So pls have some patience with my stupid questions…. ;-)

After a while though, a took a chanse and tried the online-update to see how many hours that would take. I was surpriced to see that it only took about 10 minutes – with a 50kbit/sec phone modem!?!? Not bad....
I am positively surpriced.

But the main question remains:
HOW do I update manually (NOT online), downloading the base-prgrm from another pc?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: How to Update the main prgrm?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:53:07 PM »
There's no need to uninstall anything.
When you run the full installer (as downloadable e.g. from here) on a computer where avast! is already installed, it will offer you to update the existing installation.