Author Topic: icon disappeared from tray  (Read 3175 times)

nweissma

icon disappeared from tray
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:48:29 AM »
Avast Pro..Vista-32 Home Premium.

i am aware of the relevant posting http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31117.0

i have repaired using control panel, i have examined the "appearance tab" (all was ok) ...   and as for the remainder of the posting:

3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
See picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26155.msg213891#msg213891

If that does not help, please, uninstall, boot, install again, boot.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?

i will need some help:

• how do i "make a link ... startup folder"?
  • i have never altered the registry, and i will not be a fool by attempting to do it without knowing what i am doing. so, please explain -- step-by-step -- how to accomplish this registry solution, and if you can, please explain why or how it works

the only security programs that i have are Avast! Pro and MalwareBytes Real Time

rassel

Re: icon disappeared from tray
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
Did you use the avast uninstaller to uninstall avast?

Did you have any special firewall installed?

nweissma

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:52:05 AM »
Did you use the avast uninstaller to uninstall avast?

Did you have any special firewall installed?
what made you think that i uninstalled avast??

anyway, i rebooted and the problem has been rectified: my darling rotating ball has returned!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:29:36 AM »
At a guess because one of the steps in the extract from the help file was uninstall, boot, install again, boot.

I too assumed that the since the repair option didn't work you had continued with the process and got to the point of asking how to add the entry to the startup menu. So for me the next logical step would have been the reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security