Author Topic: Outlook Express error - 0x800ccc67  (Read 119642 times)

pondiferus

Outlook Express error - 0x800ccc67
« on: December 21, 2005, 03:28:18 AM »
Hi all.
I am a newbie to Avast.

Question

when sending a test message in Outlook Express i am encountering the following error :

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421  Cannot connect to SMTP server 144.140.90.10 (144.140.90.10:25), connect error 10060', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

so far I have:
recreated the mail profile
assured that OE is not set to block attachments
telnetted to my mail server successfully
created another identity in OE

Note: my ISP's mails server doesn't require secure password authentication to be enabled

aside from reinstalling my OE, is there anything else I should do with avast!?  This program is different in layout to every other antivirus I've used, I think there is some functionality in there somewhere that has slipped my attention and is causing this.

Thanks for reading this :)

neal62

Re: Outlook Express error - 0x800ccc67
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:14:21 AM »
While your ISP doesn't require Secure password authentication to be enabled under Incoming mail,  it may be that under "Outgoing Mail Server" settings you may have to tick off "My server requires authentication".

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 05:38:18 AM »
Welcome to the avast! forum pondiferus.

To help us maybe you can give us a little more information about your system.

What operating system are you using?  Are you using a firewall, if so, which one?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 02:49:15 PM »
Check that your firewall (which is?) allows access for ashMaiSv.exe, the avast! email scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

moonraker

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 02:09:12 AM »
yea, the same thing seems to be hapening tome, (XP, disabled firewall: ZONEAlARM)
but also, you might want to check, everytime I open Outlook, or check for new mail (aside from the error message) a recent e-mail gets deleted.  I checked the "deleted" folder, and I found some, but soon after that they stopped showing up in there (weird) I started with 21 new e-mails, I'm down to 5 and affraid to open it any more.  I hadnt realized it, but it started after I installed AVast........!  this all started happening today bout 4 hours ago.....anyone???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 03:55:40 PM »
avast doesn't delete email without them being infected and you have indicated that that is what you want it to do, it doesn't take autonomous action unless you have set it up that way.

Even if avast deleted the email, it doesn't delete it into the deleted emails (items) folder, avast scans your incoming email before it gets to your inbox and if an infected email is detected if you decide to delete it then it never gets to your email folders, deleted or otherwise unless you set it up that way. Outlook/Exchange, Customize, Inbound Mail, Move to the following folder and/or Virus Storing, Move it to the following outlook folder.

So if you haven't done any of the above there is something else going on, especially if the emails being deleted aren't ones that have been detected as infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

moonraker

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 04:24:06 PM »
yea, like I said, its weird.  I'm going  trough everything, so far me and a support tech (Verizon DSL, using an interface similar to pc-anywhere) where really suprised at what happened when we set up a different acount, and ran AVAST (with no key-registration),  a lot of stuff changed, he said he had never seen anything like it.   I really dont know if its because its not registered, or the combination of different programs I have running although all virus/firewalls are disabled at this time.  But as for the original problem (pondiferus), its not hard to fix, sounds like what you've done so far should take care of the problem, if it hasn't, you are probably missing some minor detail about creating a new account, and setting up the e-mail servers.  One thing I learned, your mail settings may change after you run AVAST (wich you shouldnt do till you're 100% sure OE is working properly again), to something like 127.0.0.1, for both incomming and outgoing, thats normal, your OE should still work,  you might want to check the FAQs for OE in the AVAST self help section, it tells you all about it.

moonraker

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:34:52 PM »
oh yea,  changing the server settings is normal for the newest version of AVAST,  its all in the FAQs.  there are actually lots of new stuff in the latest versions, not in what it does, but in how it does it.   Its actually pretty cool suff, it may take some getting used to for some of us.  Hope this helps.  Please tell more about what happens.

IexoPeoa

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
@neal63:  How would I do this?  I'm getting this error message whenever OE tries to send email, though I receive it just fine. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
What is the 'fully' error text and not just the number in isolation ?

What is your OS ?
You have opened up a very old topic and now you shouldn't have to make any manual setting changes for avast to scan your email depending on your OS.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Since you receive email just fine then this is probably not an OS issue (but please answer the question from DavidR to help us be sure).

It would also help us if you can tell us the name of the smtp server you are trying to connect to.  If it is an ISP server you will be divulging no personal information and we may be able to check and see what the issue is with port 25.  If it is a private server set up for you alone then ignore my request but we may need to question if you have the correct settings in OE.

Does terminating the Internet Mail provider in avast make any difference to the experience you have in sending mail?

IexoPeoa

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »
I'm sorry for opening this topic again, but it's the only result I got when I searched for the error number online.  I'm running XP Pro, the error code is:

"An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: STMP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 76.97.30.119 (76.97.30.119:25), connect error 10061', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0c800CCC67"

Terminating the Internet Mail thing in Avast changes the error message to:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:38:10 AM »
If the avast Internet Mail provider is terminated and you are still getting an error the problem is likely to be with the email server.

Have you checked with comcast (support pages or server status, etc.) to see if they are experiencing any email server problems ?

A google search for comcast, the socket error number and Error number with avast disabled returns some hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=comcast+Socket+Error%3A+10061+Ox8000CCCOE. Check and see if there is anything which may help.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »
I am a Comcast user and have no problems with port 25 (with or without the Internet Mail provider scanning the mail).

There are cases where Comcast has blocked port 25 to individual users who have been using the port to send large volumes of spam (whether intentionally or without their knowledge due to a spambot infection).

The other issue for port 25 is that to use it you must be directly connected to the Comcast network.  All to often these days folks are connecting wirelessly from their local coffee shop or if at home are using whatever wireless connection they can connect to whether it is their own or a that of a neighbor.  To prevent spamming Comcast will not allow (quite reasonably) a port 25 connection that has not been authenticated as a Comcast customer by connecting from within the Comcast network.

There are alternate secured ports for sending mail to smtp.comcast.net where you must also specify your account and password to authenticate yourself.  You can use these ports whether you are on the Comcast network or in your local coffee shop.  However, avast cannot scan mail sent on a secured connection and does not try to do so.

If you need more advice on the secure ports please say.       

IexoPeoa

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 04:53:33 AM »
None of the hits on that Google link panned out, in fact most of them were of the same post, hosted on different sites, about a problem similar to mine that was redirected to another forum that doesn't exist anymore.

I don't use wireless internet at all, so they wouldn't block me for that reason, and Avast has sounded no alarms about sending spam mail. However, I'll contact Comcast support and try to find out why my outgoing mail's been blocked. Thanks anyway, all.