Author Topic: Malwarebytes found 183 malicious files but Avast did not find any?  (Read 5356 times)

owli

I recently purchased an Avast subscription based on all the great reviews and recommendations. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes from awhile ago. My computer was running slowly yesterday, but Avast, while saying "fully protected," did not report any viruses or malware. So I ran a scan using Malwarebytes, and it found 183 malicious files, removed them, and my computer is running better now.

I am concerned that Avast is not adequately protecting me! What is going on?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Malwarebytes found 183 malicious files but Avast did not find any?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
where was those files located ?

can you post Malwarebytes scan log ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:02:56 PM by Pondus »

owli

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
The log file is attached...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
No security program have 100% detection

and you dont have 183 virus...most of this is from one bug ( Adware.MyWebSearch )  and not a serious malware

Once the Adware.Mywebsearch program is installed it may start to display very intrusive pop-up messages and advertisements.
http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-8315en.html

then you have this one that you have not removed
c:\Windows\System32\f3PSSavr.scr (PUP.FunWebProducts) -> Not selected for removal.
it is detected as PUP = (potentially unwanted program)  http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/PUP
avast PUP scan is off by default......if on i guess this would have been detected

and one serious....in recycle bin so a file you have deleted ?....and not running i guess
c:\Recycle.Bin\45d7599c459fb05 (Trojan.Spyeyes) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
http://www.prevx.com/blog/168/SpyEye-the-infostealing-trojan-leader.html

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:42:41 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
update Malwarebytes do a quick scan, select ( FunWebProducts ) for removal and click - remove selected
unless you want to have it   ???

post new log
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:53:08 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
i guess you have downloaded all this funny stuff  http://funwebproducts.com/  this is where all the adware stuff is from

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
I recently purchased an Avast subscription based on all the great reviews and recommendations. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes from awhile ago. My computer was running slowly yesterday, but Avast, while saying "fully protected," did not report any viruses or malware. So I ran a scan using Malwarebytes, and it found 183 malicious files, removed them, and my computer is running better now.

I am concerned that Avast is not adequately protecting me! What is going on?

You might want to educate yourself on the difference between an anti-Virus program like avast! and an anti-Malware program like Malwarebytes.   While there is some overlap they do not really do the same thing with respect to protecting your computer and you.  That is why everyone is advised to use a good anti-Malware program like Malwarebytes along with avast!

dagrev

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
This is why I also run a free online scanner every once in a while, and not even the same one all the time.  Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.