Author Topic: Realtime shields not running on startup - Avast Free current version  (Read 4623 times)

tggrinc

.....When I start my computer the real-time shields do not start up. I can manually start them from the avast icon, but they should be running automatically. I have repaired avast, uninstalled it, run the as-clear program, and reinstalled avast with no change.

.....I'm worried that I may have some kind of root-kit but avast isn't finding anything in it's boot-time or real-time searches.

My system info:
Win XP home SP3, 32bit, (with all current applicable hot-fixes)
I do not have the windows search 4.0 or windows indexing installed.
Browsers:
Mozilla Firefox (current version)
IE 6.0 (for windows updates only)

Single core 2.99ghz P4 in a Dell 9100
4gb ram
Verizon Fios internet

No other antivirus or firewalls except the built in windows firewall. (which is on)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Realtime shields not running on startup - Avast Free current version
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »
Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system (before avast), if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Second, since IE is an integral part of your OS you should keep it fully up to date also. I rarely use IE, but I still have IE8 which is the latest version of XP.

If you expand the avastUI Summary section (show details), is it all shields or just some ?
Also check the Real-Time Shield section.

There should be a Fix now option, did you try that ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tggrinc

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:26:15 AM »
.....I have attempted to repair it more than once. Sometimes it doesn't do anything and other times it works for the reboot immediately after the repair but not for subsequent boots.

.....I've only had avast on this machine. No other antivirus or firewalls. Avast has worked fine until a few months ago when this problem started.

.....I don't update IE since IE7 and later versions embed themselves into the windows OS and cannot be completely uninstalled.

.....It is all shields, they can be turned on manually, but I don't see any "fix-now" option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:49 AM »
I suggest that you try a clean reinstall.

What is the difference you can't uninstall IE6 either as that is totally embedded. Since it is integrated into your OS you really need to keep it up to date.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tggrinc

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
.....I've already tried a clean reinstall, including using the as-cleaner app to make sure there were no left over bits. It had the same effect as the repair, worked fine for the initial reboot, then went back to starting without the real-time shields running on subsequent starts.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:33:17 AM by tggrinc »

Saulius

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
@tggrinc

I don't know if you have a root-kit, but it sounds like it. I've had Avast! AV and others turned off by root-kits before... even with self protections and self monitoring aspects on!

Have you tried some anti-rootkit tools to at least find any on your system. I would be good to know if that's the problem at least and deal with it of course.

There are some free tools such as aswMBR to scan and TDSSKiller from Kaspersky (which I recommend) and ultimately you could even try ComboFix, but that is a more advanced.

I suggest backing things up, save your data and try restoring your system to a backup that hopefully doesn't have any rootkit, although they are very hard to eliminate and once your PC has been infected it is actually recommended to completely swipe the hard drives and start with a free cleanly installed system to be sure to be rid of them.

Do as DavidR suggests, keep IE up to date, even if you don't use it. I think some programs will still automatically use it even when it is not set as your default Web Browser. Also try to keep all your other programs up to date too, to help close down security exploits in them, again even if you don't use them much.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
Check services -> Avast Antivirus Service -> properties -> "autostart".

Also try Avast main GUI -> troubleshooting -> "load Avast service only after system services".

Some malware could be present too (who knows). I wouldn't discard that possibility.

Please reboot after EACH change, test and report back.

tggrinc

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
NOTE: Avast started normally this morning and has continued to do so when restarted several times. I haven't made any changes to any settings, so I will see if the problem returns.

@ Saulius - I haven't tried any root-kit hunters recently. I did that a quite a few months ago when I had a problem with another program. I ran several root-kit removers at that time including combo fix. This problem actually started sometime after that. I had heard that combo fix could cause problems with some programs which is one of the reasons that I tried a clean reinstall of avast.

@ ady4um -
Avast is set to "automatic" in system services and showed running. Also, the avast process is always running when I bring up the task mgr even when the real-time shields do not start properly. (Of course Avast is running normally atm so I will recheck this if the problem returns.)

The item you mentioned in troubleshooting is not turned on, I did not change the setting since Avast is behaving normally for now. I will try it the next time Avast acts up.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:08:36 PM by tggrinc »