Author Topic: WHS Beta updated  (Read 7809 times)

jx

WHS Beta updated
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »
Hi everybody,

with the release of avast 8 update beta, we are also re-launching the WHS-beta.

This new beta version includes quite a few bugfixes reported in our internal testing. While we've done lot of testing, there may still be some problems with this software. Please, feel free to test this release and report any feedback (functional or "look&feel" type of feedback) here on the forum.

You can download the WHS setup here:
http://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_whs_setup.exe

We're looking foward to your feedback

Regards
jx

Joseole

Re: WHS Beta updated
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
Hi,

Do we have a "msi" version (Windows Installer) so I can use it in a headless (HP StorageWorks x510) WHS? The ".exe" version does not work for me!!

Would it work on WHS (based on Win2003 server)?

Cheers Jose

jx

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
Hello Joseole,

unfortunatelly, there is no .MSI version available.

This release only works for WHS 2011 based servers.

Sorry

jx

ruudhome

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
I've a fully updated version of WHS 2009 with installed PowerPack-updates.

Question; Now I've the ended F-Secure WHS-security_2009 running.
               Does the new Avast-beta WHS version work on this WHS-2009_version when Avast will be installed as a .exe instead as a plug-inn_msi???

Futher info of my version;

My Windows Home Server, code-named Quattro, is a home server operating system from Microsoft. It was announced on 7 January 2007 at the Consumer Electronics Show by Bill Gates,[3] released to manufacturing on 16 July 2007[4] and officially released on 4 November 2007.[5]

Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003 R2 and is intended to be a solution for homes with multiple connected PCs to offer file sharing, automated backups, print server, and remote access.
Power Pack 1 for Windows Home Server was released on 20 July 2008,[6]
Power Pack 2 was released on 24 March 2009, and
Power Pack 3 was released on 24 November 2009.

jx

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
Hi Ruudhome,

sorry, but only Windows Home Server 2011 (code name Vail)  is supported by the new release. The architecture between quattro and vail is completely different, so only Vail is supported by the upcoming release.

jx

ruudhome

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
Hi JX

Is there any other security-product wich i can use on the first edition of WHS (Quatro).

I dont want to upgrade because of the exellent Drive Extender (Wich is cancelled in 2011-edition!!)

Windows Home Server Drive Extender was a file-based replication system that provided three key capabilities:
Multi-disk redundancy so that if any given disk failed, data was not lost
Arbitrary storage expansion by supporting any type of hard disk drive (Serial ATA, USB, FireWire etc.) in any mixture and capacity — similar in concept to JBOD
A single folder namespace (no drive letters)

KR Ruud

jx

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »
Ruud,

thanks for you reply, I really appretiate your interest in the product. Unfortunatelly, no recent version of avast supports older flavors of WHS.

If you really require the features you have described I see you have several options on the path that might want to take. Please note that I am not discussing the economics of either choice, just trying to give you hints as to what the options are.

1) Get the avast SOA product, http://www.avast.com/en-us/small-office. While I am not aware that this was ever tested in our QA to work with WHS, it will five you even greater control over your network (but no integration into the WHS infrastructure on the other hand...) Thinking about it a while longer, this looks like an interesting test case for our QA and I will make sure such test is executed during the next week.

2) Another option would be to upgrade to WHS 2011 and use a third party software, such as SbaleBit's DrivePool (plenty other plugins around that do similar stuff). This will allow you to set up drive pools and "single directory, no drives" file structure.

3) The last one is more of a "techie" solution... You may also set up a RAID on your WHS. WHS 2011 dashboard does not contain means to do so, but if you know what a RAID is, I'm sure you'll know how to get one up and running. :-) I do admit this is somewhat harder to implement and may require investments in special hardware, on the other hand, such solution will give you fail-safe storage for your valuable data... In fact, I have RAID 0 set up at home to keep all of my important data (that I never use anyway... ;-))

I am sorry I could not give you a better answer at the moment, but I hope at least one of the three above stated hints will help you make a correct decision.

Best regards

jx

matheny00

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
Hey JX I am running the beta WHS on a 2003 windows home server platform on a Home media Server from HP. IK did have to change the attribute from A to none and then after I copied it out of the original folder to the desktop I got it to load with no issue. It does all the downloads and works well to protect the server however it does not communicate with the other computers but at least I now have AV protection.