Author Topic: AIS 5.0 Firewall Not Recoginzed By Windows Security?  (Read 2836 times)

mhl6493

AIS 5.0 Firewall Not Recoginzed By Windows Security?
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
Today I downloaded the 30-day trial of AIS 2010.  After installing and working out a minor issue (thanks to the help of this forum!), I noticed that the Windows Firewall was still on.  I don't know a lot about computers, but I've read that you're not supposed to have two firewalls running concurrently.  So, I turned the Windows Firewall off.  But now it says that I don't have a Firewall running at all.  Apparently it's not recognizing the Avast Firewall -- which, when I open Avast, seems to be on and functioning properly.  And I have this annoying Microsoft Security Alert that won't go away.  I hate to tell it to just ignore the problem and I'll monitor the firewall myself, because it seems that it should be recognized by my system.  I've never had a problem with this before on any other internet security product.  I'm running Vista 32-bit, if that's important.

Any idea what's going on, and how I can fix it?  Again, thanks for your help in advance!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AIS 5.0 Firewall Not Recoginzed By Windows Security?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
did you reboot after turning of the windows firewall ?

mhl6493

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
Yes, I have rebooted several times.  The Security Alert is still there.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
When using AIS on Vista you shouldn't turn the Windows firewall off. Read this post from Logos :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57487.msg485094#msg485094

But it could be that you have a problem with Windows Security Center. How to fix it :

http://www.pchell.com/support/multiple_antivirus_in_security_center.shtml

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

mhl6493

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Thanks, Red.  That's interesting.  Everything I've ever previously heard/read has indicated that two firewalls should never be running concurrently, regardless of the operating system.  I'll look into it, and the security center fix as well.

mhl6493

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Well, my security center evidently wasn't the problem.  Still not recognizing the Avast Firewall.  I guess that isn't the end of the world, as long as the AF is functioning (which is seems to be).  But for some reason it just makes me feel less secure and protected.  Perception sometimes becomes reality, whether logical or not.