Author Topic: Question about avast! Internet Security 5.0 for 3 PCs  (Read 11055 times)

RealmMaster

Question about avast! Internet Security 5.0 for 3 PCs
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:27 AM »
Hello!  New guy here with a hopefully easy question.

I'm thinking about getting avast! Internet Security and see that it comes with licenses for 3 PCs, and had a question.

I was wondering, are these 3 separate licenses? I was thinking if it was, of splitting the cost with some friends (if I am even allowed to do so), making this an even a more fantastic deal.

This way if the licensees are separate, myself and my friends would each get support and not have to ask me to get support for them.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Question about avast! Internet Security 5.0 for 3 PCs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:54:56 AM »
I think the best to answer this is avast sales sales@avast.com

http://www.avast.com/contacts

RealmMaster

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:56 AM »
I think the best to answer this is avast sales sales@avast.com

http://www.avast.com/contacts

Thanks, I'll do just that.

Jon_T

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:21 AM »
RealmMaster,

Most likely the answer will be for three PCs at the same home/small home office location. I have AIS and it's a single license key issued to me (the name of the purchaser) that the license can be installed on three PCs.  Imagine avast! has some way (via IP, internal PC ID, etc.?) to monitor/verify the PCs using the license key.

Following an excerpt from the AIS 5 Help > Subscription (bold emphasis by me):
"... Licenses for avast! Pro antivirus and avast! Internet Security can be purchased for 1, 2, or 3 years and for up to 3, 5, or 10 computers for use in your home or on your small home/office network. Single licenses of avast! Pro antivirus can also be purchased if you only need to protect one computer. ..."

Out of curiosity I checked/searched the avast! and avast! support sites and found nothing on subscription/license TOS.  ???

jcbcamacho

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
Don't waste your money.
It's a piece of garbage. I lost $29.97 and it only gives me headaches.
I am trying to get a refund but I never call speak to a real person.
Worse. I cannot even send them an email.
They are the most cumbersome people I ever dealt with.

Sincerely,

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:11:57 AM »
Each license should apply to a specific PC - to the hardware on that PC, through the software on the PC, when you insert license key.

Would not have to be same location or same user, although the transaction for the 3 licenses will be to the one purchaser.

You hold the license until you want to use it, then when you insert the key to activate the license, that will be license for that PC.
If you want to transfer the license to another hardware or software, for some reasomn or other, you will need to see avast about it.
Same as licenses for Microsoft products.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »
I just want to add that a licence will be activated on the day of purchase, and not on the day of installing/entering the licence file.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »
Do you mean that the duration of that license begins on the day of purchase - so that a year license will expire exact 1 year from the day the license was purchased, regardless of when the user has inserted the license key.

Other than that, the user can choose whenever to insert their license key and it will be actioned, provided not outside the duration of the time limit specified to that license. That is correct, isn't it. Or no.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Do you mean that the duration of that license begins on the day of purchase - so that a year license will expire exact 1 year from the day the license was purchased, regardless of when the user has inserted the license key.

Yes, the duration of the license begins on the day of purchase.

Other than that, the user can choose whenever to insert their license key and it will be actioned, provided not outside the duration of the time limit specified to that license. That is correct, isn't it. Or no.

That is correct.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:43:02 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Sesame

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
Before purchasing, I recommend you trying it on every single computer of yours on which you are thinking of installing AIS, with the trial edition of AIS (Download it here).  Also, here is a detailed procedure of inserting license key to AIS.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »
yes thanks Rednose and Rumpel. I usual run the trial version first to ensure all is okay at the start.

Jon_T

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
Each license should apply to a specific PC - to the hardware on that PC, through the software on the PC, when you insert license key.

Would not have to be same location or same user, although the transaction for the 3 licenses will be to the one purchaser. ...

Noticed from your sig you're using avast! Pro which the above (at least for Pro 4.8.) is true.

The base AIS license is for three PCs.  As I noted in my above post I have AIS.  I received only one license key that I used to install avast! on my three systems.

As I noted above was unable to find any info on the license details on either of the avast! sites.  But per the language I posted above from avast! AIS Help it reads the license (i.e., not licenses) is for multiple PCs "... use in your home or on your small home/office network."; i.e., a home user with multiple PCs.

If you can find language from avast! that supports what you posted, please post the link for it.  ;)

Edit:
Prior to AIS, I was using Pro 4.8 on one system, and Home on my other two systems.  With Home 4.8 there was a discount on the upgrade for the AIS 3-PC license.  But for the upgrade option for Pro 5.x version when I selected the 3 PCs option, the discount was only for one PC, not for the other two. The avast! 5 Pro upgrade cost for 3 PCs, 1-yr, was about $30 USD more than the AIS 5 3-PC license, 3-yrs.  Hence the reason why I purchased AIS then did a custom install to not install firewall and spam filter.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:16:56 PM by Jon_T »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
I dont have an AIS license so I cannot, but there are others who do.

I thought it would be rather difficult to run more than I PC under a single license unless a network.
But I dont know really. Perhaps someone with AIS x 3 PCs will answer.

zfactor

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
you will get ONE lic key. that one is registered to ONE person. but you can use it on 3 different pc's. but it will only be good for one registered email for support. also the lic starts ticking down from the moment its paid for. so it does not matter if you activate it on one or three at that time. but if you only do one pc then wait a week or two for the others you will have lost the 2 weeks for those machines. repeat it does not wait till you activate it to start counting down the days. its right after the minute you pay for it.

you can re use the key if the hardware changes. just as long as its not on more than 3 machines at one time. so as long as its removed from the pervious one you can install on the newer machine.