Author Topic: AVG is better than avast !  (Read 17581 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
MW

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVG is better than avast !
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Not on the page you gave the link to it isn't.

avast! is in 8th, avg is in 9th, see image. There are also some other strange results in this listing symantec is in 5th, but more interestingly is, bitdefender in 11th and nod32 in 16th
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
if you checked the results here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcwelt.de%2Fstart%2Fsoftware_os%2Fsicherheit%2Fnews%2F81346%2Findex2.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
AVG is better detecting Backdoors, Bots (zombies) & Troj.    Horses. Avast is only better in detecting worms.
IMO, AVG is getting better & better..  ???
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »
IMO, AVG is getting better & better..  ???
All serious program gets better and better. AVG is not an exception.
As usual, testing with a particular malware pattern will give you different results. avast won't be the best in all of them, or even in the majority of them. I think there is room to improve avast detection so far. I've thought Kaspersky would have a better position...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »
The image is the collation of all the different malware types and to me that is the figure that should be looked at. You can't be selective in a particular area of malware as you haven't a clue as to what you will be attacked with/by.

I didn't see what version of avg it was perhaps the AVG Anti-Malware that included the anti-spyware (which is a paid option), in any case there is nothing to stop you using avg-as as a back-up or SuperAntiSpyware to improve overall detection, as you are doing having installed SpywareTerminator.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:36:44 PM »
AVG Anti-Malware that included the anti-spyware (which is a paid option), in any case there is nothing to stop you using avg-as as a back-up
David, I think ewido is avgas and it's reported later in that list... so, AVG seems to be only the antivirus. But I'm not sure. Maybe you read something different.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
I don't know why call it ewido something which changed over a year ago to avg-as.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »
I don't know why call it ewido something which changed over a year ago to avg-as.
Neither do I... but it's there.
Does it say anything about the reliability of the test itself? ???

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »
I wouldn't bet the odds off just yet. Why i'm always returning from others to avast! are minor details in free edition.

avast! can check for updates every hour. Antivir and AVG can do that only once per day. Imagine the 24 hour time window without any possibility of getting new urgent update (unless by clicking Update button all day long, but i have other more important things to do than this). Just check 18.11.2007 day. 3 updates in few hours timeframe. You'd have to wait for the rest till monday with AVG or AntiVir.
Second is spyware detection. Antivir and AVG free have no such capability while avast! doesn't make any difference between free and payable. Third is configurability. AntiVir is the only here that comes near avast!, AVG is just too limited.
There is also no nag popups in avast!. That annoying popup has turned me away from AntiVir regardless of how superior detection it has.
And lets don't forget tech support and ALWIL guys constantly in contact with their regular users (having loyal users, be it free or payable certanly can pay off greatly i think). ALWIL team also takes very good care for regular users that help here. And best of all, we can actually shape the product, give new ideas and so on (quiet some of them implimented are mine and from users like Tech, SasH and DavidR and few others). It's really a pleasure to use product that has features that fit your needs and wishes.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more RejZoR, the on-demand scanning test is only one aspect of selecting an AV. Yes if it were rubbish then that would be a huge negative factor, but avast is far from rubbish as this and many other tests show.

mojako_2you

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
I have been the user and technician in one of the computer centre...
as i know and in my exprience....avg is the worst...
i suggest to take avast as 4 the av....
avg still bad in removing the virus....
look in avast...it have the boot scan program...
all virus can be romove by it...

Ladydance

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 05:23:58 AM »
I dont't agree with the subject.Avast is different from AVG on many antivirus functions.

Even much more.Sometimes,I feel AVG In some virus detection rate no higher avast.

So,there's not many comparability between them.

VertigO-

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
Hi,

avast! can check for updates every hour. Antivir and AVG can do that only once per day. Imagine the 24 hour time window without any possibility of getting new urgent update (unless by clicking Update button all day long, but i have other more important things to do than this).
Hmm... Ok. Let's now see what the update holds..

For AntiVir, the threats are quickly injected in database, even if the update is done once a day.
For Avast!... the threats are injected in database between 8 - 15 days after detected (i.e.: just scan files at VirusTotal).

So.. perhaps the updates are done frequently. But they don't get the last protection... because the main Avast! database isn't update yet.

A few examples: Bagle, Virut, Vundo (security toolbar variant), MSN & WL messenger worms (I'm helper in french security forums for a year now, and never seen avast! founing this kind worms). 

Sorry for bad english. By the way, I know i'm on Avast! forum.. Just wanna tell the truth, the facts.. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
Hmm... Ok. Let's now see what the update holds..
For AntiVir, the threats are quickly injected in database, even if the update is done once a day.
For Avast!... the threats are injected in database between 8 - 15 days after detected (i.e.: just scan files at VirusTotal). So.. perhaps the updates are done frequently. But they don't get the last protection... because the main Avast! database isn't update yet. A few examples: Bagle, Virut, Vundo (security toolbar variant), MSN & WL messenger worms (I'm helper in french security forums for a year now, and never seen avast! founing this kind worms). 
You're right. I agree.

Sorry for bad english.
Why?

aspiringwannabe

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
I have the lovely privilege of maintaining our computers at the office, 4 Win towers in house, 4 Win laptops and 1 Linux server.  We were using AVG free, then I got my U3 drive that ran Avast and upon insertion, Avast found infections.  After many months of chasing the infections I have found that no one program does it all or platform (anti-virus vs anti-spyware, etc).  One computer was running Norton IS along with WebRoot and still had an infection.  So, I have an arsenal of removal tools now and I try to check all once a month, very hard with the laptop people.  Things are better now but I will still find an infection every now and then.  So I have three rules, 1. check with multiple platforms, 2. check regularly, 3. don't trust anyone or anything fully because nothing is perfect and people lie or just don't know.
A wish of healthy computers to you all!  And good luck to all that maintain them.  ;)