Poll

What Free Firewall do you use with Avast?

Zone Alarm
59 (45.4%)
Sygate
31 (23.8%)
Outpost
19 (14.6%)
Tiny
2 (1.5%)
Primedius
0 (0%)
GoldTach
0 (0%)
Look and Stop
2 (1.5%)
Kerio
17 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll, What Free Firewall do you use with Avast  (Read 85898 times)

JAM-Computers

Poll, What Free Firewall do you use with Avast
« on: May 06, 2004, 09:08:01 PM »
[size=8]Please Vote! Please Vote! Please Vote! [/size]
1100 plus views only 40 votes, YUCK

Let me know if I have missed any.  This poll will help everyone trying to decide which one to use with Avast. Which one do you like best and why?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 07:29:01 PM by JAM-Computers »

BanziBaby

Re:Poll, Best Free Firewall for use with Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 09:20:22 PM »
Well i used to use Kerio v2.15 with Avast with no probs at all other than i had to block inbound access for the mail scanner or else my pop,smpt&imapi ports were open.Version 4 of Kerio is way to buggy to use the now, it still technically a release candidate, but they dont tell U that on the site.

I been using Outpost pro v2.1 for about 6 months & find it among the best firewalls U can buy, very easy to use & also to make rules, there is a thread at the outpost forum that tells U how to secure the cfg even further.

Zonelabs i find slow & bloaty, has a habit of forgetting its rules & has so many backdoors into it, also has a habit of not loading at startup sometimes.

Tiny i did try once, but found the GUi to be hideous & it took ages for it to even refresh its info, it also not a firewall for beginners as U need to have some knowledge about how firewalls work to use it.

Primedius i never heard of before, but after looking at its homepage seems to be a custom version of 8signs firewall

BaNzI ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 09:22:43 PM by BanziBaby »

Datagg

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 09:31:27 PM »
Outpost, why, its the best. Good help forum, good rule setup. Actualy works for outbound leaks, and is user friendly.

Hands down the best out there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 09:32:05 PM by Datagg »

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:36:48 PM »
KPW 2.5.1  ;)
MW

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:40:57 PM »
Let me know if I have missed any.  Trying to decide which one to use with Avast. Which one do you like best and why?

ZoneAlarm causes no problems with avast!  And I'm very pleased with it. One annoying thing:  When avast! updates then ZA recognizes the new version of the avast! updater and mail-scanner as a new program and I need to "approve" them again.  This can be fixed in ZA Pro, I'm conciddering buying it..
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 09:43:27 PM »
Well i used to use Kerio v2.15 with Avast with no probs at all other than i had to block inbound access for the mail scanner or else my pop,smpt&imapi ports were open.Version 4 of Kerio is way to buggy

With ZA the ports are not open (according to GRC) but I still blocked all Internet Server acces for the avast! mail scanner so that no one can use it as a mail-server (to spread spam/virus) from outside.
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »
Same with outpost, and there isnt any problems whatsoever with new versions of avast. All outpost sees is anotehr program, and asks for permission again, this is normal, and is the best way to see if there are any outbound leaks. It looks at every single change that may happen in your computer, and asks you such.  That means ig spyware alters IE somehow, it will ask if this is ok, so no worries on outbound leaks. Outpost also, unlike the others has optional filters you can buy to add to the entire program. Which means you dont have to have 10 programs, to do the job of 1.  

trigger

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 10:12:54 PM »
Personally I run kerio 4.0.16 without any problems... But when I have to install a firewall with friends and family I allways install the free zonealarm. It's much easier to use for the computer illiterate...

I had za plus running for a while but that gave me loading problems. Sometimes it just would not load, sometimes it would hang on the truevector engine, sometimes it just worked like it should. I have only had those problems with the plus version, the free version never gave me any problem whatsoever. Maybe because it is just a firewall without all the extra tricks they built in plus and pro...

Peter

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 01:56:25 AM »
Peter,

To air is human, to scuba divine

I love your saying.

I use Zone4 Pro  and find that after a while it seems to forget some of the programs that it has been told are ok   and asks permission for them every time i reboot.

Any ideas?
Bob
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 04:13:14 AM »
Let me know if I have missed any.  Trying to decide which one to use with Avast. Which one do you like best and why?

ZoneAlarm causes no problems with avast!  And I'm very pleased with it. One annoying thing:  When avast! updates then ZA recognizes the new version of the avast! updater and mail-scanner as a new program and I need to "approve" them again.  This can be fixed in ZA Pro, I'm conciddering buying it..

Fully agree with Lars  8)
The best things in life are free.

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 04:49:42 AM »
While we are talking about firewalls,here is the workaround for the failed patch issued by MS
" postings indicate
that the problem still exists on fully patched XP/2000 systems. A workaround is
to block ports 139/tcp and 445/tcp at the network perimeter to prevent attacks
from the Internet."
Just want everyone to be safe.
-max

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 06:36:55 AM »

I have used ZoneAlarm for years without ever having a problem with it loading on start-up. I allow no programs access to the internet without first my OK. After all, it only takes a few seconds to click "yes" or "no". Am I not sitting here in front of the computer anyway? GRC has always given my computer a "full stealth mode" report.    :D  

Plus, ZoneAlarm and avast! work very well together ... like 2 peas in a pod!    ;D  

neal62

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 09:38:05 AM »
I started out using Zone Alarm Free version when it also had a free log feature letting you see who, and where some of the probes were coming from. That feature was removed from the free version. Also using Zone Alarm with a V.O.I.P. program I use I always had to lower the security setting from "High" to "Medium" in order to use the program. I then tried the free version of Sygate and found it was better for my purposes than was Zone Alarm. If I am not mistaken it also had a free log you could view to see where incoming probes originated from. Then, I found out about Outpost, version 1.0 (free). Found it to even be better for my purposes than Sygate. With Sygate or Oupost I have never had to change or compromise my security setting to use the V.O.I.P. program that I use regularly.  ;) As with Sygate I do have the ability to view a log to see where incoming probes have originated from. I have also taken several tests including one from GRC and others and have always received a report that I was in complete "Stealth" mode while using Outpost. My choice of course is Outpost for alot of different reasons but if I didn't have it I would go back to using Sygate before using Zone Alarm. :)
I use Avast and Outpost together with no problems at all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 09:41:43 AM by neal62 »

rloschmann

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 11:37:25 AM »
I use Kerio (free) at home and Outpost (free) at work. Both are very good firewalls.

offpol

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 02:20:51 PM »
hi
i am french user and i use look'n'stop, i think is good firewall.