Author Topic: "free version " registration key format  (Read 18037 times)

Hermite15

"free version " registration key format
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
I got someone there in the French section:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76396.0

... who cannot use the registration key he received. Seems like it's in a 19-8 chars format while the dialog box in Avast UI requires a 6-6-6 sequence. Don't know if the guy tried the auto activation at all... anyway, this 19-8 sequence is the one I used once a while ago and it worked, so the format @ UI level must have changed in the meantime, and so should the keys ;D

SafeSurf

Re: "free version " registration key format
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
Keys I have been receiving when putting on people's machines have been in the 19-8 characters lately and it worked when received but all required receiving the Keys from Avast via email despite going through the GUI auto-activation to renew.  Perhaps there was a change recently with v.6.0x.  :-\

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
Keys I have been receiving when putting on people's machines have been in the 19-8 characters lately and it worked when received but all required receiving the Keys from Avast via email despite going through the GUI auto-activation to renew.  Perhaps there was a change recently with v.6.0x.  :-\

yeah it use to work in V5, but the input in V6 now requires 6-6-6 ... and they still send 19-8 keys ???

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
okay I got it, it's just people attempting to enter the free version registration code (19-8) in the paid version (6-6-6) ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »
Nice that they have a different format for the Paid versions, though strange that there is a higher digit range (19-8) in the free license than the paid 6-6-6 (6-6-6-6 format I would have thought provided greater security). Horrible choice of license digit form factor 666 or someone with a wicked sense of humour (999 might have been better, UK emergency number, police) ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
yeah there was a second case in the French section:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=77287.0

... I thought that the free/paid registration sequences might differ and checked that by installing the free version on another system to find out... yeah I haven't seen the free version for ages...

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
So if I understand the OP correctly,

If a user uses off-line registration for Avast and gets the e-mail from Avast entering the key him/herself, than everything works?

If a computer helper person is assisting with registration, and the person sends the key to them via e-mail, or whatever, the key does not work?

Meaning that all off-line license key registrations at last in Avast 6.0, must go to the person who originally requested a license key?

Is this a bug, or a security precaution?  It sounds to me like Avast does not want license keys given out to people who initially did not register.  I think you use to be able to submit any valid keys in 5.0.  But in version 6, it sounds like the licenses have to come from Avast.

Now for the most part, other than the isolated instances we had with a few users on the forum.  On-line license registration and renewals are working well in 6.0, correct?

Jack

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
Meaning that all off-line license key registrations at last in Avast 6.0, must go to the person who originally requested a license key?
No. You can request a license key with one name/address and use in other off line computer.
All the times I've done this, otherwise, I used the owner own name/address in my computer and get the key for him/her :)
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
No. You can request a license key with one name/address and use in other off line computer.
All the times I've done this, otherwise, I used the owner own name/address in my computer and get the key for him/her :)

Thanks Tech!  ;D

Jack

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
You're welcome Jack.
The best things in life are free.