Author Topic: Howto shutdown AVAST completely  (Read 52472 times)

adam007

Howto shutdown AVAST completely
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
Is there a way to shutdown AVAST entirely?
When I stop all of the avast services it still leaves ashDisp.exe running.
This can't be killed in task manager and having it running is causeing me problems installing some applications.

I can ofcourse uninstall avast. Do what I need to. Then re-install avast
But it would be nice if someone could tell me where the off button is...

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Howto shutdown AVAST completely
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
avast is intended to be run in background.
It shouldn't mess the installation of ANY program (except, of course, other antivirus with whom it will conflict).
Which is this other application?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:49 PM »
You need the avast icon it is the interface to the GUI and without it you couldn't restart avast without a reboot.

The services are running but there is no overhead as they aren't scanning anything as you can right click the avast icon and select Stop On-Access Protection, and reverse that Start On-Access Protection when you are done.

However, the more important question would have to be why do you want/need to do this.

What are the applications you mention and the problems ?
I can't recall the last time I disabled avast for anything, especially installing an application, which is precisely the time you want an AV running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

adam007

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Paperport http://www.nuance.com/products, from nuance software.

I uninstalled avast, installed paperport, then re-installed avast.
I just thought I should be able to have avast unload itself entirely from memory, without uninstalling it.

Adam

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
Doing what I suggested (stop on-access protection) would be overkill (if it were needed at all and for that it shouldn't) Pausing the Standard Shield should be more than enough as that is the element that would be scanning installed/newly created files.

I would be interested to know exactly what the problems were that you spoke of as avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection ?

So I would have to wonder what it is doing that it would require an AV to be totally disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »
Hmmm... why should you disable and even uninstall avast to install it remains a mystery?
What was the error message when you try to install with avast still installed?
The best things in life are free.

veepee78

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
Hmmm... why should you disable and even uninstall avast to install it remains a mystery?

Probably because it messes up installation of another program? Can't you guys read? What's so wrong killing avast for a few seconds? I have same problem and then I hit this thread where so called evangelists say it's almost a crime to shutdown antivirus. HAH.

Maybe someone not-so-avast-geek can tell how to kill avast without uninstall??

Paperport installation says Avast and few other prosesses use files that need to be updated by setup. Uninstall & install sounds stupid. Maybe I change to something that does not mess installations.

cinchez

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
U could just STOP THE ON ACCESS SCANNER^^

(Right click the avast! icon in the task bar and hit stop on access-protection^^)

Hope this helps...

-AnimeLover^^

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »

Probably because it messes up installation of another program? Can't you guys read? What's so wrong killing avast for a few seconds? I have same problem and then I hit this thread where so called evangelists say it's almost a crime to shutdown antivirus. HAH.

I'm sorry but I don't think that there exists any program which needs avast! to be switched off when installing... ::)
Avast! doesn't do anything else than scan files for viruses - it doesn't change them and it doesn't block anything (only if there is a virus found, but this is an other thing (and this is what it is supposed to do)).

So I see absolutely no need and never saw any need before to switch off avast. ;)

If there is a program which produces problems with avast! please tell us which one it is so that we can try to solve this. :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »

<snip>

Had you followed your own advice (Can't you guys read? ) you will see in my first reply.

Quote from: DavidR
you can right click the avast icon and select Stop On-Access Protection, and reverse that Start On-Access Protection when you are done.

How to stop avast completely for a few seconds.

And in my second reply another means of 'Pausing' just the provider most likely to have any interaction.

Quote from: DavidR
Pausing the Standard Shield should be more than enough as that is the element that would be scanning installed/newly created files.

I don't believe it is a crime to pause the standard shield or even stop on-access protection, my only concern, was why it would be necessary at all as avast doesn't block but scans and alrets to infection.

That is why we were asking questions, to get to the bottom of the problem, nothing more, but we never got any further answers from the original poster, which is why I guess this topic has lain dormant for 5 months.

veepee78

--SOLVED--
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
It's quite obvious that evangelist(s) just doesnt know the gospels...   :-*

Shutdown is quite easy, just turn off self defence from settings -> trouble shooting. Then you can kill the processes.

No it didn't take this long to figure it out, just happened to hit this thread again. Maybe someone finds now answer from here.

cheers,
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:06:19 PM by veepee78 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
We all know how to do this and that isn't the point, why bother installing an anti-virus designed to be resident and then set about killing it.

What you suggest is more long winded, would be restored on the next boot (or you have to manually start the process you stopped), you would also have to re-enable the self-defence module after such action or lose protection allowing malware to shutdown avast.

So what I suggested either pausing the Standard Shield or Stopping On-Access Protection is much quicker and easier to be reversed if what you want is to temporarily stop avast or one of its providers.

veepee78

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
I'm sure you do. Why was it so hard to answer the question. As in original posts, stop scanning and shields didn't do the trick, and I had exactly same problem in first place:

..."When I stop all of the avast services it still leaves ashDisp.exe running.
This can't be killed in task manager and having it running is causeing me problems installing some applications."...

Adam had to do uninstall and install to achieve successful installation of Paperport because lack of answer. Well now there is one. It just pisses me off when people wouldn't believe explanations..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
For installing another application that shouldn't be necessary to 'completely' kill anything and Stopping the On-access protection will do the job as would pausing the standard shield.

That way you don't have to go on a journey to disable the self-defence module and then end the process and when you have completed whatever it is that you were doing, manually start the avast service you ended and enable the self-defence module.

That and only that is why we didn't suggest ending the process because a) it is long winded and b) not really required when the other options should work and aren't overkill.

Well I gave him an answer in Reply #2 before his post saying he uninstalled avast, installed paperport and reinstalled avast.

veepee78

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
c) it didn't work.