Author Topic: Is Avast Free better than Microsoft Security Essentials?  (Read 26494 times)

Dch48

Re: Is Avast Free better than Microsoft Security Essentials?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
I see nothing wrong with Microsoft Update. It's just an expanded version of Windows Update that covers all Microsoft products. I always leave Microsoft/Windows Update on automatic and have never had a single problem with any update delivered. I actually trust Microsoft products over anything by anyone else and always have. If there's a Microsoft product that wiil do what I want done, I will almost always choose it first over other offerings. That's why I use IE8, Outlook Express, Office XP, and Media Player 10. I have little or no use for open source, cobbled together, constantly changing garbage. I also feel that the more you use MS products, the less chance you will have to experience compatibility problems and performance issues.

asenior

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »
I tried MSE for a week and changed back to Free Avast!

Many more features in Avast which I like.

MSE puts updates and restore points in my PC.  Hardly any SYSTEM restore points were showing while using MSE.  It looked like MSE restore points "pushed out" the system restore points. 
MSE updates only once daily unlike Avast!
MSE's full scan was over an hour while Avast!'s is only about 20 minutes.
MSE slowed down my browsing considerably while Avast! doesn't.

Avast! wins, hands down.

Windows XP Home, SP3.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
At the end of the day whenever someone makes these threads/topics you can only know whats right for you by giving them a try and seeing what suits your needs, people will always have their own opinions but it doesnt change the way the programs works just how people interpret them, horses for courses and all that :)

philrod

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »
In my experience Avast Pro was a disaster. I installed it and my computer slowed to a crawl. It uses too much resources and there is no way to configuere it so that it to use less. I see they have released an update but I had so much trouble I don't want to try it. So there I wasted $30 bit I learned that I should stick with the proven products. Sorry to say I wont be recomended Avast to any of my customers.

>:(

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »
Well maybe what you are saying is quite wrong because who knows that your computer is clean or not..
No offence but I mean installing/uninstalling and reinstalling and installing a new program again etc..
There may be junks left behind causing the improper installation of avast..

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »
philrod,
Perhaps if you had started your own thread asking for assistance when that happened you might have got some help.
Any number of things could cause this, it's very hard to say whether your problem could have been solved since you posted virtually no information about your system etc at the time.

That help is available, if you are interested.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
In my experience Avast Pro was a disaster. I installed it and my computer slowed to a crawl. It uses too much resources and there is no way to configuere it so that it to use less. I see they have released an update but I had so much trouble I don't want to try it. So there I wasted $30 bit I learned that I should stick with the proven products. Sorry to say I wont be recomended Avast to any of my customers.

>:(
It is too bad you have not been around very long.

You do not show your operating system nor Service Pack level nor system specifications like CPU type and speed and amount of system RAM.

Maybe you should stick with Windows 98 and find a better anti virus application ???

Your yahoo.ca email is visable in your PROFILE
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:47:59 PM by YoKenny »

robinb

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
I find on XP- MSE doesn't play nice at all and believe me I have put it on many xp computers.  I think Microsoft made MSE exclusively for Windows 7 because it does very nicely on 7.  I have been moving my clients over from AVG to Avast free in some cases, pro in others because it crashes less, has less slow downs and so far except for the problem with restore points (and Avast did say in the next version this will be fixed) have not seen any problems.  On Windows 7 it depends what kind of a user they are, if they are a beginner user I put on MSE, if they are move advanced I put on Avast
robin

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
I haven't tried MSE on the XP machine but I can say it works fine with Vista.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »

2. Free for all use. AFAIK there are only 2, PC Tools Security/Antivirus Free 7

There no such security with that name are you sure he exist or what ? :o

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 11:57:27 PM »
I have tried MSE on my Windows 7 computer.

My computer is more responsive with avast!.

Dual core Turion, 2ghz.  Four gigs of RAM.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 12:11:36 AM »

2. Free for all use. AFAIK there are only 2, PC Tools Security/Antivirus Free 7

There no such security with that name are you sure he exist or what ? :o

He is referring to PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition & Comodo Antivirus.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 12:12:56 AM »
Oh ok. That what i was thinking but the Security words think to me that he was thinking about their suite so i said there no such suite from them that is free lol.

Thx alot for the explain.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
Oh ok. That what i was thinking but the Security words think to me that he was thinking about their suite so i said there no such suite from them that is free lol.

Thx alot for the explain.

Actually Comodo does have a free security suite.  Click here.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 01:13:26 AM »
No thank no Evil Comodo.

I dont like him i just wanted to know what he mean by PC Tools Security no big deal. I stay with avast! 5 dont worry.

The year i will move because all will hate avast! 5 its the year that i will be drunk. avast! is generous to offer us alot feature for a complete home protection seriously i cant stop to say it and say thank to them lol.