Author Topic: Avast automatic updates disabled, attempts to access Internet, huge memory usage  (Read 5895 times)

efeffess

I have Avast set up for manual program and definition updates only. It must ask my permission to connect to the Internet for all reasons. I am not participating in the "avast! community", and thus, under all of this, Avast should not be attempting to connect to the Internet for any reason unless I specifically request it to update.

However, silly me trusted Avast to not connect without asking me first, and I set up ZoneAlarm to allow Avast access to the Internet.

This morning I found my computer slowed to a crawl. The Windows XP Task Manager reported AvastSvc.exe using from 100MB to 200MB under Mem Usage and around 470MB under VM Size, which is abnormal for idle operations - the respective values should be 25MB and 10MB. I double checked the Avast graphs, which reported no activity at the time.

I have since denied Avast access to the Internet, requiring ZoneAlarm ask me first. Right now, the ZoneAlarm logs report 13 attempts by AvastSvc.exe and four attempts by AvastUI.exe to make outgoing connections today. It's not supposed to be making connections to the Internet for any reason, and yet it continues trying.

I had to cold boot my computer to stop it from making its outgoing connections and using this extreme amount of memory, as restarting through the Start menu wouldn't restart until AvastSvc.exe was finished doing whatever it wasn't supposed to be doing. Ever since, memory usage has returned back to normality.

I won't be allowing Avast to access the Internet for any reason (which should only be program and definition updates) until this is resolved.

1) Why does Avast need to connect when I don't want to update right now?
2) Why would it be using insane amounts of memory when it's supposed to be idling?

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
what avast version do you have     7.0.........?

efeffess

I'm running program version 6.0.1367, as reported by the UI under Maintenance -> Update.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
try latest  7.0.1426

efeffess

I'll await a response solving this problem first. Upgrading to a new version won't necessarily solve the problem if the problem still exists in the new version. I still want to know why Avast is trying to connect when I haven't requested it to, and why it's using a crazy amount of memory when it's connecting without a purpose.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
There have been many bug fixes since your version...

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I'll await a response solving this problem first. Upgrading to a new version won't necessarily solve the problem if the problem still exists in the new version. I still want to know why Avast is trying to connect when I haven't requested it to, and why it's using a crazy amount of memory when it's connecting without a purpose.

AvastSvc.exe acts as a proxy.  Any attempt by a browser and many other programs are routed thru AvastSvc.exe, so that is likely what you are seeing there.  If you are using Avast Free, when you open the AvastUI it attempts to load the ad that it shows on it's Summary | Current status page.

Windows itself or other programs checking for updates can trigger traffic to/thru AvastSvc.exe.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

efeffess

Thanks for the detailed response, Gopher. I wasn't aware that AvastSvc.exe acts as a proxy - I learned something new, here.

However, I've blocked Avast! from Internet access without my permission via ZoneAlarm. So does that mean that, when AvastSvc.exe is unable to connect to the Internet, it doesn't bother routing the socket client request and lets the Windows socket API handle that part itself?

I'm going to have to put my brain to work on fixing the memory problem. What are my best options for troubleshooting when I want to know why Avast! is using an excessive amount of memory, virtual or otherwise?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip>
However, I've blocked Avast! from Internet access without my permission via ZoneAlarm. So does that mean that, when AvastSvc.exe is unable to connect to the Internet, it doesn't bother routing the socket client request and lets the Windows socket API handle that part itself?
<snip>

No it means that you effectively can't connect to the internet if you have ZA block avastSvc.exe, it will continue to attempt to connect as it isn't aware or doesn't care that something is blocking it; there is no interaction between the two programs, e.g. ZA can't change the setting in avast, for it not to act as a proxy.

As far as updates go you need to allow avast.setup or no updates, auto or manual.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

efeffess

So does that mean that, when AvastSvc.exe is unable to connect to the Internet, it doesn't bother routing the socket client request and lets the Windows socket API handle that part itself?
No it means that you effectively can't connect to the internet if you have ZA block avastSvc.exe, it will continue to attempt to connect as it isn't aware or doesn't care that something is blocking it...

I trust what your statement means is that, as ZoneAlarm is blocking AvastSvc.exe (and AvastUI.exe) from accessing the Internet without asking me first, neither Avast application is able to connect to the 'Net. (I'm using Avast! Free, just for the record.)

Even with Avast! blocked in this manner, I'm still able to access the 'Net - Web browsing, P2P, whether they're Internet or local connections to my WAMP setup. So it's just Avast! that's blocked from socket access, and thus it's not currently acting as a proxy, which is the way I prefer it to function. avast.setup seems to be the only process that needs to access the 'Net if all I want Avast! to do if it needs to open up a connection is to update.

As Avast 7 is still relatively new, I'm going to wait another month or so before upgrading - my current registration will expire in a month, so that'll be fine timing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:53:56 AM by efeffess »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
You might as well uninstall Avast, as the WebShield is the primary protection when accessing the internet.  No AvastSvc.exe access, no WebShield protection.  You are not allowing Avast to function.

I wouldn't run a security program I couldn't trust to access the internet.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

efeffess

You might as well uninstall Avast, as the WebShield is the primary protection when accessing the internet.  No AvastSvc.exe access, no WebShield protection.  You are not allowing Avast to function.

I wouldn't run a security program I couldn't trust to access the internet.

Avast is more than WebShield, Gopher John. Shame on you for suggesting users uninstall it without also supporting its other capabilities. It's a fabulous antivirus utility, and also contains support for protection against scripts and system behavior recognition.

After some extensive research, and some clarifications from users in this thread, I've decided on a methodology to better control what Avast is and isn't allowed to do on my system.

For those concerned, keep in mind that I've got three decades of programming and two decades of computing security experience. So, when I say I want control over how applications function, that means the word "control" is underlined, highlighted, and in blazing orange firey letters, and speaks in one's head with the booming voice of God (or James Earl Jones).

Thanks for the responses.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
With the greatest majority of the malware coming from the internet, much of that from hacked sites and exploits; the web shield is very hot on that and in my opinion the best pro-active shield in avast.

By not using it you are reducing your level of protection considerably, your system, your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

efeffess

I'm in agreement with you, DavidR, that it's best users in general have all functionality enabled.

I have some utilities installed that negate the need for the extra features Avast offers, so I've disabled them as such. Unless one's an expert user, carrying out such an action is highly unrecommended. I've been studying viruses, malware and other computing security issues since the 80's, though, so I'm pretty well protected without the extra features.

As an added bonus, Avast shouldn't be active for anything except local scans. That's the problem I was having, and that's the problem I've resolved.

Thanks again for the heads up on Avast itself, though, to the responders.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
My comments, were general as much for those reading it afterwards not just for your consumption.

There are many people that are well able to look after themselves, but for the majority of visitors to the support forum that is less likely. I too have many pro-active measures in place and a robust backup and recovery strategy, should the dark brown sticky stuff ever hit the fan.